Advice needed about moving to high school

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Harper, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Harper

Harper Companion

Jul 14, 2014

I got a last minute offer to teach 9/10 English. I have been teaching 6-8th English years. School starts in 2 weeks. My dept chair will not be in town until next week, so I cannot get any planning materials until then. So, what can I do this week? My classroom is not ready yet.

And for those who have made the transition, what differences should I expect? What should I be prepared for?
    I know I'll be fine in the end, but my head is spinning a bit right now. Any advice or help is welcome!

Thank you!
    Harper
    *For those concerned about my leaving old job last minute, don't worry, I didn't. I moved out of area, so the old job was already finished and we left on great terms.

3. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2014

Middle school experience is such good preparation for high school. The 9th graders aren't that much different from 8th graders except that they are less confident as newbies at new school (which you can use to your advantage).

One point that's important to get across is that they won't automatically pass on to the next level if they fail. In high school they will have to repeat the class - unlike middle school.

4. Harper

Harper Companion

Jul 15, 2014

Thank you both. Heart Drama, good luck with the changes. I started reviewing the CCSS, but it is so hard to know how the school will apply them.
    I know there have been a lot of threads about this sort of thing - how to prepare, what to expect, etc. but my search feature is not working, so I appreciate your replies!

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 15, 2014

You can start thinking about the differences and similarities between 8th and 9th grade. As it has been pointed out, if a 9th grader fails a class, that equals 1 semester (1 hour a day) waste of time because they have to take it again. A lot of 9th graders don't get that.

How will you motivate them? High school needs so much more organizational skills and independence, a lot of them are not ready for it.
    Classroom management: they will be the same 8th graders in the beginning of the year, but they will quickly adapt to the 'high school' feeling, and for some it's not a good thing.