Advice from anyone in CA on moving from Multiple to single subject

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MyGuardianDear, Aug 27, 2013.

1. MyGuardianDear

MyGuardianDear New Member

Aug 27, 2013

Hello all,

I just earned my MS credential in California. The job market is pretty tight and I would like to expand my credentials to include a SS in English. I got my BA in English but not with the specifically approved classes for the SS credential, so I will need to take the CSET for English.

I've read the CTC website about adding a supplementary authorization and a subject matter authorization. It's confusing. It seems to me that if I pass the CSET and take the required education course, I would still only be able to teach English subject matter for grades 9 and under, even if the students are older. I would like to be able to teach up to grade 12 subject matter.

Can someone clarify the difference between supplementary authorization and subject matter authorization?

My credential literally reads authorized subject(s): Introductory English, General Subjects (Examination)

Subject matter authorizations: General subjects (Examination)

Supplementary Authorization(s): Introductory English

Does this supplementary authorization mean I can teach English to middle school? I thought to teach middle school with a MS credential you had to teach more than one subject.

Also, anyone in California who went from MS to SS, how did you do it?

I know I am asking a lot...it's just that the more I read the CTC website, the more confused I got.

Thanks for your time!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 27, 2013

There are several different issues here: no wonder you're confused.

If I read this correctly, you currently have a supplementary authorization in English that entitles you to teach middle school English in a school that hires that way. Do please doublecheck this, though, with the local county office of education. In practice, a good many middle schools hire those who can teach two or more core courses (English, math, science, social science) - but that has less to do with your authorization or with the state rules for teaching middle school and more to do with those schools' or districts' preferences.

If you pass all four subtests of CSET English and take that secondary-level pedagogy course and throw some money at the CTC, what you will get is not a supplementary authorization but a full-on subject matter authorization, entitling you to teach any class K-12 that falls under the English-credential umbrella.

Please go talk to the nice people at the local county office of education, okay?

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 27, 2013

I talked with someone at my county office of ed., my situation is the reverse (I have single subject cred, asking about multiple subject) and it's basically what TeacherGroupie said: pass the appropriate CSET (in your case all 4 subtests of English), take 1 course and apply for the credential. You don't have to do student teaching, etc. This would qualify you to teach English in middle and high school, grade 6-12.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 27, 2013

(Linguist, you'll also need RICA, I think - it includes beginning literacy content not all of which CSET English covers well, but the same content also shows up a little on CSET Multiple Subjects Subtest I.)

MyGuardianDear, I have to add that positions in secondary English aren't always so easy to get these days.

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 27, 2013

Yes, I have RICA and mult. subject CSET - I meant RICA when I said 'appropriate CSET' but I see how that wasn't clear

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 27, 2013

For most people's purposes, it works well to classify RICA as Something That Isn't A CSET, since otherwise people think they're supposed to take it before they take any credential coursework, and the reading-instruction methodology stuff is material one really doesn't tend to encounter anywhere BUT a credential program. Glad you're sorted out, though, Linguist.

8. joeschmoe

joeschmoe Companion

Aug 27, 2013

I was in the same boat but with math instead of English so I can offer some sound advice.

The supplementary authorization is something like 20 units in the subject. It's the bare minimum and most schools won't bat an eye. The subject matter authorization requires 32 units in the appropriate subject matter. Again it's only good for 9th grade subject matter and below. Most schools won't bat an eye for this either as it doesn't satisfy the highly qualified standards.

To move from a MS to SS, you simply need to pass the CSET for that subject + take one course in single subject area. When I moved from a MS to a SS: Math credential, I took a one month course from University of Phoenix and passed the math CSET. The nice thing is once you obtain your first single subject credential, you no longer have to take any courses. You simply need to pass the appropriate CSET to obtain another single subject credential in that area.

Keep in mind that you will probably have to be ready to explain to potential employers why you are switching from elementary to secondary and convince them you can handle the older kids.

9. MyGuardianDear

MyGuardianDear New Member

Aug 28, 2013

Thank you

I appreciate all of the clarification. I will work on the CSET for English and take the appropriate pedagogy course, which I think I will take online through Continuing Ed at UC San Diego. And as I am ok with relocating around the area I will visit/ e-mail at least a couple of counties of education. I'm considering teaching SS English in terms of a long-term career trajectory--I'd love to teach Elementary and middle school now but have the option to eventually move up. From the many listings for Middle school single subject openings, it seems like schools want more than one SS credential (another consideration!).

Thanks everyone.

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 28, 2013

To clarify the issue of what you can teach right now, SDCOE will do very nicely: talk to a credential analyst. (If you get different answers from different COEs, we're all in trouble.)

Unless you're contemplating science or math, both of which offer foundational-level credentials, any single subject authorization you add by examination will indeed open up the whole range of post-elementary grades to you.