Advice for working with new student

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Upsadaisy, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 11, 2011

My newest tutoring student is a bright boy who was switched into a 3rd grade gifted class this year. His math skills are very strong, but his language arts skills are just average. So, he is struggling in reading comprehension, spelling, and vocabulary. I assessed his phonics awareness and skills and he is fine there. But, he uses creative spelling in his writing. I don't know if he was exposed to word families and spelling rules in the last two years of school, but I assume he was.

Here's my dilemma. He gets a very demanding vocab assignment weekly; basically a chapter with about 10 words and maybe 6 pages of workbook work. However, the class doesn't read the original story which contains the week's words; they jump right into the exercises. I never assigned vocabulary that wasn't in context; I don't really believe in it. Since his weakness is in that area, I would like to use the passages to enhance his comprehension. The mom had said that she doesn't need me to do 'homework' with him as she oversees that. So, we'll see what she thinks about this.

My other dilemma is that, to me, the problems he is having could be directly due to being placed in the gifted program when he may not be developmentally ready for the type of work required there. His spelling skills suggest that, as does his reading fluency and comprehension. While he was getting As and Bs in first and second, he's now failing daily comprehension tests and weekly vocab tests.

He is getting disappointed in himself and frustrated. What a shame for a bright student who was always successful.

Any advice here? Does anyone use comprehension strategies that are outside the box - maybe using graphic organizers or drawing? What do you think about the situation? I really want to help this darling little guy.

Thanks a bunch.

3. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

Oct 11, 2011

Upsadaisy,

I'm certain you're going to get great recommendations for this particular scenario, but in the mean time I'm going to work on some "outside the box" ideas to address his core issues of vocabulary, spelling, and comprehension.

When I say "outside the box," I'm particularly thinking about coming up with some ideas from scratch ... so they may or may not help you.

Best,
    Unbeknownst

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 11, 2011

Wow, thanks, Unbeknownst. I appreciate your efforts!

5. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

Oct 11, 2011

Bagh ... sorry Upsadaisy, I ran out of steam :(

I'm applying brain research on how to approach the vocabulary subject, but this particulary issues takes a real teacher's touch.

Perhaps the community could help me fill out the diagram?

[​IMG] (Click on the X)

Sorry I couldn't help more :(

P.S. Can anyone tell me how to upload image directly to forum? I click the IMG button on the reply menu, but it doesn't work.

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 11, 2011

Hmmm, this boy may be VERY bright in other subjects, but language arts just may not be his cup of tea. Is there a way for him to attend a normal 3rd grade class during language arts time?

In the meanwhile, I would do what you'd think is best for the boy. If you feel that teaching him the words in context makes the most sense, then that's what I would do too! Maybe take the 10 words and work on a few each day, in context. Play games, write up stories, etc.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 11, 2011

I wish I had more time with him, but, for now, it's just one hour a week. I will talk to his mom about my using his vocab assignment as a starting point. And, gosh, this is Florida. They probably won't let him go to math in a regular ed class.

If you could see this little guy, you'd fall in love with him. Long blond hair, light freckles on his nose, dark brown eyes, still has his baby teeth in front. And he has a great attitude.

8. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 11, 2011

Perhaps find a book for him to read? Reading has always helped my vocabulary

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 12, 2011

That is the best way. He has to read a chapter book per week for school, though, so I can't expect him to take on more. I got some ideas from the reading intervention site that I think will help.

10. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 13, 2011

That is why finding a book he likes would be good. Then he can read for pleasure instead of reading just because his parents are forcing him

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 13, 2011

I don't think there are enough hours in the day! A book a week for an 8 year old is fine. He does pick the books himself. The boys attitude about the whole thing is wonderful; he asked his mom to get him a tutor.

12. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 14, 2011

I read when going to bed. Helps me get tired. Perhaps the kid could adopt something like that?