Advice for next steps

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Rabbit16, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Rabbit16

Rabbit16 Rookie

Apr 1, 2017

I am near the year of my first year teaching. I am also finishing my teaching credential program. I should have my credential finished by June 17. All this to say I have been working at a public high school as a science teacher under a intern credential. This past week I got called into my principals office and they told me that they were choosing not to renew my contract for the next year. I was told it had to options- either I quit which they told me would look better when looking for another job or they could elect to not rehire. I was really blind sided by this because all of my observations from the principal had been really good and any feedback like using a timer in class was put into use in my class. When I asked why this was happening they said there was signs they talked about in my observations. I have no idea what they are referring to. I just feel so lost with what to do next because I feel like it is going to make it very difficult to get another teaching job. Any advice what I should do next?

3. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Apr 1, 2017

Been there, done that! There is life after this I promise! I was given the exact same choice. I resigned. Doing this allowed me to control the narrative. When asked in interviews why I left I could tell them: I moved, It wasn't a good fit, I needed something closer to home, etc. I only ever mentioned it when asked. Which wasn't a lot. People resign at the end of 1 year contracts all the time. If your new employer or prospective employer calls for a reference or to verify that you worked there. Legally all they can say is that you worked there. They MIGHT be able to say you resigned but I am not sure. Again Resignation sounds better than non-renewal.

Get someone on your campus: Science Dept chair, Team member and or another Principal to write you a letter of recommendation. For sure try to get a letter of Rec from an Admin. If you're still in credential program I assume you have had to be observed through your college. Ask your college support teacher for a letter of rec as well.

Keep doing what they told you to do as far as improvements or procedures they want to see. But Please DO NOT let this start creating room for doubt. Dont start putting yourself down or thinking you are not a good teacher. You're a First Year teacher, its going to suck! Next year will be so much better! I am in my second year and its amazing! The level of confidence and improvement from this year to next will be insane!

Science is a high demand area! You will be able to land something! Good luck! I promise it gets better!

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Apr 1, 2017

Make sure you balance the desire to keep this hushed up against the fact that you will lose any unemployment benefits if you resign instead of being let go. If people only knew how often this happens to first year teachers, but the "resignation" is a silence tactic. Weigh financial gains/benefits against their recommend course of action. You were working with the intern credential, which saved them money, most likely. I would not be surprised to find that they replace you with another first year teacher. It keeps salary costs down.