Advice for New First Grade Teacher!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by MusicMaker, Sep 3, 2006.

1. MusicMaker

MusicMaker Rookie

Sep 3, 2006

I'm almost finished setting up my classroom and trying to plan for the first week. I know the first week will be mainly introducing and practicing procedures, centers, etc...

I feel like I don't know how to begin...how do you start introducing the rules, etc (my school has a schoolwide positive and discipline pan, which I'll follow). I don't want to overwhelm them, I want to be able to make sure they know how to act, what to do, and also make it exciting.

Can someone run through a morning for me? What do you do when they first come in...?

I'm thinking I'll have them hang up their belongings, then find their seat and read a book or color. Then, have them do an activity. Then, have them sit on the carpet, do a little get to know you, and introduce classroom expectations...after that?

I feel like I know the things that I should do, I'm just really stuck on how to introduce everything. :confused: I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.

3. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2006

Just take everything one step at a time. Remember they are just kindergartners still. You will have to have tons of patience and repeat and model rules over and over. The first day I have my students come in and find their seats before they do anything. I have a backpack and coat for myself and I demonstrate how to come into the room. I show them how to unpack the backpack and where to put everything, where to put my snack, how to hang up my coat, where to put my lunch clip (hot or cold lunch) and let them know what to do until attendance is taken.

Just remember everything and I mean everything must be explained and modeled!!!!!!! Stay consistent with your rules and policies and you will end up with a wonderful class.

4. darkangel

darkangel Companion

Sep 3, 2006

I taught 1st grade for my first time last year and I was not prepared for exactly how much needed to be explained because it is indeed everything. If i had to do it over again I would have had those little ones go right to their seat with thier backpacks like Rosieo (Happy birthday) suggested and do exactly she suggested. ask for a couple volunteers to go next and then groups. model a wrong way and ask the kids to give you thumbs up if its right. repeat for everything walking in line. when explaining ask student to have eyes on you and hands quiet. they are the cutest little things.

5. taurusmag

taurusmag Rookie

Sep 3, 2006

You will probably need to spend the first three weeks reviewing your rule/procedures with them. Plus you will need to practice things like coming in the room for awhile. The first day of school is generally chaotic, and you won't be able to teach them what you want them to do in the morning that day. Parents come in and have half a million concerns from where is the bathroom to can you hold his glasses at recess to how will you make sure he gets on the bus. I have my kids come in on the first day and put their backpacks beside their desks. I have something they know how to do, such as a coloring packet I put together for the first day with a cheap set of oriental trading company crayons (I take them up and use them every year on the first day). That way they can immediately find seats and get to work without worrying about supplies, etc., and I can spend the morning addressing parent concerns. I address rules during the day, but, we discuss them every day for about three weeks until they are memorized (I run a pretty tight ship, and have found that if you set your expectations at the beginning of the year, you have a MUCH better year!). I handle procedures as they come up (for instance, I explain the bathroom procedure when a child asks to go, etc.) Sometime during the first day, I have the kids sort the supplies the way I want them. I have pre-printed labels for just about everything, and all they have to do is stick them on the supplies. Plus, I pool a lot of them, so those supplies are relatively easy to gather. At the end of the first day (and second, third, forth, etc.), I have them get their backpacks with all the take-home folders in them, line them up outside, and practice the procedure for coming in for the morning. This includes placing home and communication folders in the correct places, getting a sharpened pencil, going to the bathroom, and sitting and working quietly. Whatever you want them to do has to be modeled and practiced many times. It is not the most fun thing in the world, but it is extremely important for a good school year. In between all of the training, I of course include fun games that help us get to know each other. They don't seem to mind having to practice all of this stuff when they get to play games in between times. Good luck to you - we have all been where you are!

6. littleones

littleones New Member

Sep 3, 2006

To respond to your question about class rules, I like to read the book "Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse" and we discuss first the reasons why we would need rules, what would happen if we didn't have them, etc. Then I guide them into helping me create a list of our class rules. We write it in purple marker to remember the story of Lilly's purse. Then, they all come up and sign the poster to show they will "agree" to follow the rules. I give them a piece of paper and they draw a picture of a rule and we hang them up by the poster. All year long the students refer back to Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse whenever "rules" come up. It's worked great so far! Good luck!

7. taurusmag

taurusmag Rookie

Sep 3, 2006

Also, to introduce rules, I always read the book Miss Nelson is Missing, as I have been both Miss Nelson and Miss Viola Swamp! They always love this book and it gets them excited about talking about rules (they generally want a safe environment, also!)>

8. mrs a

mrs a Companion

Sep 5, 2006

I agree with what was said before. Assume that they know nothing, and you have to show them. As each procedure comes up throughout the day, model it, and have them do it. If they do not do it correctly, have them do it again. They have never written on lined paper, or numbered a page, or put their name at the top of the page. They are not even sure of how to correctly use a notebook. Before, it was drawing paper.
    They may have been sheltered by a previous teacher. If you plan on a different approach make it a period of transition. Do not expect them to know what they need to put in their booksacks at the end of the day.
    I am rambling, but these are key things I rmemeber from 1st.