Advice for Listing jobs on my Resume

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by CreativeTeachR, Mar 29, 2013.

1. CreativeTeachR

CreativeTeachR Companion

Mar 29, 2013

Ok so here is a short version of my situation...

In August 2012 I moved to CT from NY for a pre-K position in a catholic school. However in November 2012 they let me go because they found out I was married to another women. It took me till February to find another teaching position where I am now. My question is should I "lie" and just put that I have been where I am since August 2012 and totally delete my three month experience off of my resume?

I feel that this will help me because they see I was only at a position for 3 months and then they are probably wondering why. Also when and if I do go on another interview I don't have to "lie" and tell them I got let go because I wasn't married in a catholic church.

What would you do??? :huh::eek:hmy:

3. RobertTexasMath

RobertTexasMath Rookie

Mar 29, 2013

I don't understand your post. You're a man married to women. A woman married to one other woman. Did they fire you because of same sex marriage or because you didn't get married in a catholic church. If it is same sex marriage then it is clear that you don't have catholic values, whether those values are right or wrong. I would agree with their actions. Lots of catholics were married in other churches before thy converted. They shouldn't make that an issue.

I think the bottom line is did you lie to get the job at the catholic school. Did you tell them that you upheld catholic beliefs, when you really didn't. If you didn't lie to them than you really don't have a problem it was their fault. If you lied then I really don't know what advice to give you. I believe in being truthful but that doesn't mean I'm going to give them information that they don't ask for.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Mar 29, 2013

No lying on the resume.
    I think saying that you did not have a Catholic wedding ceremony would be OK. It is not really a lie.

5. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Mar 29, 2013

Can you just say you and the school district ended up having different values/ viewpoints/ philosophy? Values isn't the best word choice I'm
    Looking for but i guess being on break for week has weakened my brain!

6. CreativeTeachR

CreativeTeachR Companion

Mar 29, 2013

I am married to another women and I am a women. In my interview last year they said nothing of the fact that they can fire you based on being married in same sex marriage and/or not in a catholic church. so far I've been on about 11 interviews since being let go and I have used that "they let me go because I wasn't married in a catholic church" speech. They all believed me. I never disclose my sexual orientation in an interview its none of their business... thanks for the advice I'll leave it as it is and hope for the best for next school year...

7. RobertTexasMath

RobertTexasMath Rookie

Mar 30, 2013

As long as you didn't lie, then it is on them and you have nothing to worry about. I have applied to Private Christian Schools and most of them have a statement of faith that they require applicants to sign. The statement of faith is their beliefs and they want their teachers to agree and uphold those beliefs. Many parents pay large tuition fees for their kids to go to those schools because they want them to be educated by those who have similar religious views.

8. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

Mar 31, 2013

I would definitely put that you were at the Catholic school for the period that you were. As for what to say when you are asked about departure reason, you definitely do not have to mention same sex marriage (that's a no-no to ask in an interview anyway). Not sure what is appropriate, since "not married in Catholic Church" is not the truth either. Definitely don't lie on the resume though.

Unfortunately with private schools, they do not have to give a reason if you are in an at-will employment state.

9. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Mar 31, 2013

BEST thing to do is tell the truth!
    When you lie you have to add MORE lies to cover other lies, and you before you know it, you are in a pile of kaka, and it is going to smell.:eek:
    Rebel1