Advice for Kinder

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Kinder09, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Kinder09

Kinder09 New Member

Jun 22, 2009

Hi Everyone...I am a first year teacher and I was just hired to teach Kindergarten. I'm super excited but very overwhelmed, as I have no idea where to start. My student teaching experience was in a 2nd grade classroom so, experience with Kinder is limited to some just observation time. Can anyone help me with a starting point. What type of materials should I be looking into for my classroom? Also, we are a team teaching school, but I don't have experience with that either, so if anyone can clue me in a little on what that exactly means, I would be very thankful! I'm wanting to use my summer wisely, in order to prepare and get ready, but I honestly don't know where to start! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks to all!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 22, 2009

1)MODEL, MODEL, MODEL
    2)PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!!!!

Remember that some of the kids have never been in school. I wouldn't move on to the next thing until the students do it right. As far as team-teaching, I would think one teacher would be teaching reading and another one would be teaching math.

Good luck!!!

Where in TX are you?

4. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jun 23, 2009

Congratulations on your new job! You are indeed wise for wanting to use your summer to prepare :) Here is a link to the page just for new teachers on my website. There you will find suggestions for materials you should be gathering and preparing to get ready for the first days and beyond :) Good luck!

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jun 25, 2009

Kinder - congratulations on the job!

I agree with the advice you have been given by the others.

I think if you are looking into purchasing items - things like manipulatives, magnet letters, little caddies for their supplies are likely to be found cheaply at dollar stores, etc. Also any kind of books for them to read - check garage sales, used book stores.

I have seen team teaching done 2 ways. One way was as STG pointed out that the kids switched classrooms for reading and math. The other is to level the classes so someone may be teaching the advanced level, middle, low.
    This is one of my favorite website for printing workstation materials:

http://www.fcrr.org/Curriculum/studentCenterActivities2005.htm

Good luck!

6. brandip22

brandip22 Rookie

Jun 25, 2009

Hi- I just was accepted a position as a Kindergarten position as well! I am quite excited, but do no know yet what all to get or do. Let me know as you find out more, too!

7. Mom2two

Mom2two Companion

Jun 25, 2009

Have either of you been told what your budget will be? Have you seen the classroom that you are moving into? You're going to want to check out what's there, what the other teacher is leaving behind, and what you are going to need. We have a $500 budget at our school which is pretty nice, but I still spent $350 already, and this is my 3rd year in K! Everything adds up so fast, but a lot of what you will need your first year, you will be able to re-use. I was out of paint, and needed to invest in good brushes and things, so that really added up quickly. Sorry, I'm rambling. First things first-find out what you're walking into:)

8. lilygirl

lilygirl Rookie

Jun 26, 2009

I would get the book "kevin knows the rules" for sure. It is awesome for first year teachers since it really keeps you organized and consistent as far as discipline, which tends to be the most difficult part of teaching.

9. Kinder09

Kinder09 New Member

Jul 6, 2009

Hi everyone!! Thanks so much for the advice and websites!! There is sooo much info out there! I saw my classroom for the first time and found out that the teacher I'm replacing, retired, and left a ton of stuff for me to go through. I'm very excited to see what treasures she has left! I'm wondering about how to organize my classroom library...I've been given a ton of books...which I LOVE, but I'm a little overwhelmed at the thought of organizing them all...any suggestions?
    Thanks a million!

10. Mom2two

Mom2two Companion

Jul 6, 2009

This is always a tricky thing. I think veteren teachers still struggle with this. I put my books into tubs, and this year I printed labels from Kelly's Kindergarten page to label the tubs and books with. I plan to do this soon, I haven't had a chance to sort through them yet, but I think it might take a little while!

11. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2009

I hope she left you "treasures" and not "junk." With the business of starting a school year we often end up inheriting a lot of junk and not getting time to throw it out or organize it. Of all the moves I have done the very best was to an empty classroom. It was glorious - no junk to sort and throw out. I could organize everything from the beginning my own way. Place to put my own junk. I can't convey how great it was compared to going into a classroom already full of stuff.

12. punchinello

punchinello Comrade

Jul 6, 2009

I agree. Throw out as much as you can. You'll want to do it your own way, anyway. I became obsessed with saving every little thing, right down to old Weekly Readers...with George Bush on the cover.
    I'm in a 'get rid of it' mood this week. 12 bags in the dumpster so far today. Why do people think teachers get the summer "off "?
    Good luck with your new classroom. It is so much fun to make it your own.

13. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jul 6, 2009

I am still in college, but I started organizing my library just last week. I am still in the middle of it because life seems to throw stuff at you the minute you get involved in a great project like this. Anyhow, I made book bin labels using directions from this website. I love making my own so I could not resist when I found these awesome directions. Perhaps you would like to make your own too! Here is the link- some labels are pre-made, but I did not take any of those. http://www.kellyskindergarten.com/Classroom Organization/classroom_organization.htm go to directions for creating your own signs and labels- lots of great stuff here. Good luck.
    Congratulations on the job! I hope I get to student teaching in K and get hired in k! That is my absolute dream!