Advice for Interviewing/Getting a Job

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Amelia Peck, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Amelia Peck

Amelia Peck New Member

Oct 8, 2019

I am in need of some real advice. I moved from Los Angeles to San Diego over the summer and I teach high school history. Going from LA to SD, the market went from somewhat competitive to extremely competitive. I spent the summer applying to and interviewing at every district in San Diego County and landed short. Some background: I got my masters from USC (graduated with a 4.0), taught with LAUSD for 2 years, and received the 'Rookie of the Year' Award my first year of teaching (a pretty highly regarded award in the district). I am not young (this is my second career), but still young enough to be marketable (33). Everyone at my old school thought I would be a shoe-in in San Diego, but I fell completely short and am incredibly discouraged.
    So! Now I am subbing with SDUSD and SDUHSD (San Dieguito) and hoping to make connections, because I feel like that is a HUGE reason I did not land a job - no one knew who I was and San Diego definitely has that "small town" feel when it comes to getting hired (seems like most schools just go with what they know, even if the teacher getting hired is not the best choice.)
    Sooo, question is - what can I do while I am subbing to REALLY get my foot in the door? I did land a long term subbing position in Dec-Jan for 5 weeks at a school I really like. I am hoping that will help tremendously. I also should mention I have been completely booked with subbing jobs - so people seem to like me. I guess I am just stressing because I have a baby on the way and canNOT survive next year without a job. And I miss teaching. So. Much. (Because let's be honest - subbing is not teaching)
    Any advice appreciated!!!

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 8, 2019

I used to live in San Diego; that's where I got my teaching credential and Masters. I was subbing and long term subbing for a few years and then I got tired of the competitive market and moved 6 hours away to the Central Valley. I got my first teaching job here and I'm still working at the same school.

My advice would be to sub in as many districts as you can and get a feel of their hiring needs, and focus on the ones where there are openings. This way you will be known, talk to all the teachers, principals, network and then hopefully after March you can get some interviews. I'm sure you already know, the more long term sub jobs you have, the better it will look on your resume.

San Diego can be discouraging, when I subbed, I met people who were subbing with a double credential (single and multisubject, often one credential was a spec. ed cred,) and still, they had been subbing for several years.

4. Amelia Peck

Amelia Peck New Member

Oct 8, 2019

Thanks for the advice! I can only stretch myself so thin - subbing for SDUSD and SDUHSD is already keeping me SO busy - I am booked through to November pretty much at this point. I would have liked to sub for other districts, but I just can't. I actually signed up to sub for Coronado and already am realizing I don't have time. I guess that is a good sign that people want me, though! Looking forward to my long term position at Canyon Crest Academy, where I can hopefully really get my foot in the door with SDUHSD.

Linguist92021 likes this.