Advice for Applying for Credential after Disciplinary Action

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teach321, Mar 6, 2020.

1. teach321

teach321 New Member

Mar 6, 2020

I was terminated from a position as a substitute teacher a few years ago. I want to apply for a substitute permit again and I'm struggling how to explain the dismissal on my application. Anyone have experience applying for a credential of any kind after disciplinary action that could chat with me and help me out?

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 6, 2020

Do you know if this termination and its reason was recorded at your Department of Education? You might want to check on your state's website to see if your license was terminated or merely expired.

4. teach321

teach321 New Member

Mar 6, 2020

Yes it was. After termination, it got sent to state credential board and everything. By this time my sub license had expired and my PIP had expired. They still revoked the PIP, even though it was expired. And I was told I cannot reapply for any permit for a year. So if you look online, it shows a PIP with an expiration date and a revocation date that is after the expiration date. They sent a huge file that was from the school that terminated me. I had never seen any of it nor was told any of that was the reason I was let go. I got to reply to their accusations and they had a meeting and determined I was still at fault. So I still stand behind my reply, but am afraid if I sound "in denial" answering these questions they won't like that answer still and deny my application. I also don't know how detailed I need to be in an application to the state board when they have this file there already. I don't know if there is a good approach to this situation.

5. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Mar 6, 2020

teach321,
    I want to answer your question, but I'm confused. Help me understand.
    Are you talking about a teaching certification or are you talking about being certified as a substitute? I don't actually work in a state where substitutes have to have any particular credential, so that is why I am asking. It would also help to know what state you are in, since each state handles these things differently.

6. teach321

teach321 New Member

Mar 6, 2020

I am in CA. Substitutes get a permit through the same credentialing board as teacher credentials and intern permits. So it’s not a credential per say, but I have to apply through the commission of teacher credentialing. So the substitute permit application asks me to explain my dismissal from work as well as my revocation of the preliminary intern permit and denial of sub permit renewal.