Advice for anyone interviewing

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by mrsammieb, May 5, 2014.

1. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

May 5, 2014

I have always thought I was HORRIBLE at interviewing. In 2004, we had just moved to Connecticut and I needed to get a job to help my family. I interviewed at so many places. The more I heard NO, the worse I got.

Sitting with a large panel of teachers and administrators only made things worse. Who do you look at, what do you say, how do you answer this or that.

After finally being hired and working for the past 8 years in one school, I know I rock as a teacher. I am good at what I do. I do make mistakes.

So we just relocated to Georgia, and I am sitting in the same boat I was in before. I need to work to help my family. And there are jobs, but I am not willing to work too far from my home. So that narrows my options greatly.

I had an interview on Friday and one today on Monday. I brought with me a small portfolio. One example of upper grade parent communication, and one lower grade. One reading upper and one lower. One math, social studies.

I answered the questions with my heart. With the way I really feel, not what I think they want to hear.

And I left both places feeling good. You are awesome teachers. Speak from your heart and admit when you don't know. They will love that.

I hope my rant is helpful! I just want to let y'all know it is going to be ok. Keep your confidence!:thumb:

3. lynnjess

lynnjess Rookie

May 5, 2014

You have no idea how much I needed to hear this. Thank you.

4. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

May 5, 2014

I'm glad! Hang in there!

5. greenpoint

greenpoint Rookie

May 5, 2014

Thank you for this! It does get hard trying to say what you think they want to hear. Sometimes we need to be reminded that we aren't just spitting up jargon and the best interviews come from sharing personal experiences.

6. eternalsunshine

eternalsunshine Rookie

May 10, 2014

Thank you for posting this. :) I had my first teaching interview last week. The panel consisted of 12-15 people...I couldn't even keep count. :dizzy::help::eek: It was terrifying.

7. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

May 10, 2014

Good on ya - you should always answer very honestly rather than just "yessing" them with what they want to hear. Interviews are like blind dates; you are both seeking a good fit. You are interviewing them too, and being inauthentic is just going to make both you and the hiring school miserable later.

I have said some risky things in interviews when my own views are clearly different than those of the ones hiring:

Q. Mr. Rhesus, how do you use data?
    A. Raw, numerical data are next to useless to me. REAL data are in the words, expressions and behaviors of my students before me.

Q. Mr. Rhesus, how do standardized tests drive your instruction?
    A. They don't.

Sometimes it has gotten me the job and sometimes it has not. If everyone is being honest and rational, things work out for the best.