Advice for a Parent

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by hunnyluv_23, Aug 15, 2006.

1. hunnyluv_23

hunnyluv_23 New Member

Aug 15, 2006

Hello everyone,

I have a 4 soon to be 5 yr old son who is now in pre-k. Last year he was in headstart and was having some behavior problems so we took him to get evaluated and they sd he was developmentally delayed. He went to the special class 3 days a week and to a regular class 2 days a week. Ok...so the school year was about to be over and they sd we can either keep him in the special class but he has to go 5 days a week or we can take him out and they would hold his space. So we decided to take him out and put him in a regular pre k class for this year to see how he does.Over the summer he did very well and we made sure that he was in a school setting at least 2 days a week. His speech also got better over the summer. He is very smart...knows abc's, phn #, and can write his name just to tell a few things. So he just started school yesterday and his teacher sd he was falling out when he couldn't get his way and he does not do this at home even though he used to. He seems to do it alot when he is at school or just somewhere that he knows he won't be disciplined. So my question is...do u think I should put him back in the special class or just leave him in the regular class to see how he does. I know it has only been one day but I really want to make sure I am doing what is best for him. His teacher last year sd that If he did have to come back that she was gonna recommend that he goes to BD class. Thanks for reading and if u need clarification about anything or more info pls let me know.

Thanks

3. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2006

Beginning school is a big step for little guys and gals- so I would say there is an adjustment period to go through. On the other hand, if your son has had special classes before, it's very likely he will need to continue on the same path and his new teacher might very well suggest that coming up. I would suggest talking with your son's teacher right away to let him/her know of his history and get his/her advice on the situation.

4. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Aug 15, 2006

I agree you can't tell by what is going on in one day.

5. brett158

brett158 Companion

Aug 15, 2006

wait it out at least for the first month or so. He may adjust fine and just need a little time. Can you discuss his school behavior with him at home and maybe develop something with the teacher that you know will work for him. Daily notes home where you impose some consequences at home if he doesnt ehave at school?

6. TeachWildThings

TeachWildThings Comrade

Aug 15, 2006

I agree with waiting & working something out with the teacher. This lets them know you're willing to work with them. Sounds like your child is testing the waters. Setting up a simple behavior/reward program at this age is not uncommon. I'd be surprized if the class or teacher doesn't already have one. He needs to know what's expected of him & what the limits are. However, make sure he is still getting speech evals & if deemed necessary, services. Even if he is in a private prek program district still has to provide those services (it's the LAW), but you may have to take him to their site. (meaning they may not have to travel to provide services)

7. hunnyluv_23

hunnyluv_23 New Member

Aug 15, 2006

Thank you all so much for replying. God bless.