Advice for a newbie?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by RainbowsEnd, Aug 9, 2007.

1. RainbowsEnd

RainbowsEnd Rookie

Aug 9, 2007

I got hired for my first teaching job last week, and while I'm incredibly excited, I'm also freaking out a little bit. I was fortunate to go to Umaine Farmington (they have an incredible teacher prep program) and to have had student teaching and a stint as a long term sub, but I still feel a little unprepared. In all of my previous experience, I've had an established classroom to take over, and now I have to worry about establishing a classroom AND teaching 8th grade language arts :huh: !

I feel like I have a handle on setting up and setting forth my expectations (my aunt got me a fabulous book called The First Days of School). What I'm most worried about is that I have only 2 weeks until school starts, and I don't know what I'm going to teach. I have ideas for the first few weeks, but beyond that I'm lost. I'll be meeting with other teachers next week, but if there is ANY advice you can offer as I go into this year I'd be most appreciative!

3. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Aug 9, 2007

Your going to teach English. Check out this site. Hope this helps!

http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=42685

You will be fine! Search on this website for ideas for the first day of school. Also, get your syllabus created and go over that in class on the first day.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2007

Do you know what courses/grades you'll be teaching? Call school this morning and arrange to come by and pick up a syllabus and textbooks.

Does Maine offer a HS exam in English? NY does-- it's called a Regents Exam and it covers a huge amount of material: http://nysl.nysed.gov/uhtbin/cgisir...ent/1?new_gateway_db=HYPERION&user_id=CATALOG

When you say you know your procedures: do you know how you'll cover vocab, spelling, outside reading, grammar? Look at the posts here for the basics. If you can get the vocab and spelling books, you can make up those tests ahead of time.

Check the school's website... what was their summer reading? Is there a test on the summer reading? Is it made up already? Do you have to have read the book(s)?