Advice for a new Texas teacher

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by tixydo, Mar 15, 2013.

1. tixydo

tixydo New Member

Mar 15, 2013

Hi all,

I'm finishing up an alternative certification program in Texas and am hoping to find a teaching job somewhere in North Texas.

Does anyone have any advice for certifications I should try to get? Right now I have the EC-6, ESL, and SPED. Which others would make me more marketable?

Also, any advice on job searching? I'm planning to go to some of the district job fairs and the big on in Arlington. Any advice about what to expect at these or how to prepare.

And which districts would be most willing to hire new teachers?

Any advice for a new teacher in North Texas would be greatly appreciated. :help:

Thanks so much!

3. RobertTexasMath

RobertTexasMath Rookie

Mar 16, 2013

I have been looking for a teaching job in north Texas also. I haven't had much success so I'm probably not the right person. I am currently teaching about an hour from Dallas in a rural district hoping that the experience will lead to the job I want.
    One thing that has hurt me is that I have been focused on a small number of districts. I have the opportunity to teach at my current school. I want to teach at a school where I have that same freedom.
    You have a good combination of certifications. I am secondary and not elementary. If you're wanting elementary the only other certification I would add is GT. I'm not elementary so I'm not certain but I believe that Texas elementary school are required to have GT and ESL certified teachers. ESL is based on the percentage of ESL students but almost all north Texas schools would meet those requirements.
    My other suggestion is don't be as pickey as I have been.
    Here is a link for some north Texas job fairs
    http://www.texasteachers.org/resources/job-fairs/dallas-fort-worth/
    I wish you success and I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

4. RobertTexasMath

RobertTexasMath Rookie

Mar 16, 2013

I forgot one thing. I was to a lot of job fairs a few years back. At most if the district job fairs you will likely get a 10 to 15 minute interview with a principal or vice principal. Google teacher interview questions and be prepared to answer those.

At the big one in Arlington you will get a chance to introduce yourself to an H.R. rep. You should bring a lot of resumes but I wouldn't expect a mini interview like you should at the district job fairs.

There haven't been any job fairs the last couple of years so I'm hopeful that the job fairs this year is an indication that there will be more hiring.

5. Ms_C

Ms_C Comrade

Mar 17, 2013

Welcome, I to teach in North Texas(1 1/2 hours south of Ft. Worth). I'm not going to lie...it was hard finding my first teaching job being alternatively certified. Finally I found a position with a charter school who was willing to take a chance with a first year teacher that did not have a degree in education. I love my school. It can be a bit disorganized and they pay is lower (but still way above state min), but for the most part I am allowed to try different techniques and can manipulate the curriculum to best suite the students in my class. If you are like me, and will be teaching with a probationary certificate the first year, then you might also look at charter schools.

6. tixydo

tixydo New Member

Mar 24, 2013

Thanks so much for the advice! It is greatly appreciated!