Advice for a new teacher still looking?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Crafty6, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Crafty6

Crafty6 Rookie

Aug 8, 2014

Hi Everyone!

I finished my degree and got my certification in Special Education and have been looking for a job since April. I applied to almost every district in 3 counties, about 60-75 jobs, maybe more. I did take a few weeks off from the job search in early June because I went on vacation, but I think I have been pretty consistent. I did have a premliminary interview in early April, but that didnt turn out well, it was a very big district in my county (Which I student taught at) so that eliminated alot of jobs in my area. I have been extending my job search to districts that werwe 45 minutes to an hour away from where I live.

I just started getting calls for interviews in mid July. I had 7 interviews, 2 of which I was called back to have a second interview and teach a lesson. No offers came out of it. My last interview was Monday.

Now I am faced with a dilema. The school year starts from August 18-25 for the schools here. How likely is it that I will get a call to interview? Is it possible to get a job after the school year starts?

Also, I started applying for assistant positions. Is it better to be an assistant or to substitute teach? I know with assistants you are contract, not so sure about subbing, as I still want to search for a teaching job.

I know many people are in this same boat, but it doesnt stop me from feeling disappointed. I was always told that with Sped, it wouldnt be so difficult to find a job. Its devestating to have to wait another year and many of my supplies will go to waste. People keep telling me to stay positive and keep trying, but I still have to be realistic and accept what it. I still fill out about 6 applications a day.

By the way..I live in the Chicago area, if that helps.

Any advice? :)

3. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Aug 8, 2014

I have both a mild/moderate and moderate/severe credential. There is a consistent need for teachers in the latter area. It's a hard to fill area in my district so they are always looking for teachers.

Other local districts may only have one or two jobs available within that area within an entire year. It depends. Don't be discouraged but keep looking. Jobs may open up as the year progresses and after school starts. New classes may need to be formed due to class size or other issues.

The problem with working as a sub is that you may not receive credit on the salary scale when you do find a regular teaching job. They assign you to a pay level based on experience and unless it is a contract (long term sub may or may not count) you are not able to use that year to advance to the next level.

What type of credential do you have and do you have any specializations? There are increasingly more and more mild/moderate teachers.

4. chitown

chitown Companion

Aug 8, 2014

I'm in Chicago, and in SPED. I was in the same boat last year, no real prospects right after I graduated. I ended up being offered a long term sub job the day before school started. The district liked me enough to put me in two more LTS positions after that, and I finished out the year as a para. This year, schools have shown a lot more interest now that I have some experience under my belt. I was called for 13 interviews AFTER I accepted a job offer, and I had around 8 leading up to the offer. That bit of experience helps.

As far as subbing or going for a para position, it's up to you which would work better for you. Some teachers I know who couldn't find actual teaching positions chose to para just because it's steady and you get benefits. You're still in a classroom getting experience and you still get to work on skills like behavior management, differentiation, parent communication, collaboration--all the things you'll be asked about when you interview. I hated day-to-day subbing but it does have value. I liked long term subbing but you don't have a ton of freedom if you'll be turning the class back over to the regular teacher. It's all experience, so choose what's best for you.

It is definitely possible to find a job once the school year starts. I was getting calls as late as the end of October last year, and then I stopped applying. CPS may add teachers after the 20th day of school if enrollment is higher than expected, and teachers at all schools may leave at different points in the year for a variety of reasons. Don't give up yet!

Good luck to you, I hope you find something that works for you!

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2014

My old school had to hire in October twice due to class size.
    I landed a job in January of this year due to a mid year retirement.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2014

Are you willing to move to another state?

7. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Aug 8, 2014

You always ask this question. :lol:

8. Crafty6

Crafty6 Rookie

Aug 8, 2014

I would move but my SO has a secure job here that makes more money than I would, so we really can't move. I will definitely keep trying. I really dont know if I should take a para job if I still want to look for teaching opportunities once the school year starts..thats my dilema. lol

9. Crafty6

Crafty6 Rookie

Aug 8, 2014

By the way, I only have a LBS1 endorsement for grades k-12. I have a working knowledge of Spanish but cannot really claim fluent. I constantly update my resume and cover letter and have been told its a really good resume, but I just dont know what more I can do.

10. blauren

blauren Rookie

Aug 10, 2014

It took me four years to find a teaching job. I mostly subbed, doing multiple long term assignments but then took a para job close to the end of this past school year because I was going to be kicked off my parents insurance. I think you gain much more relevant experience as a long term sub. I learned so much from those assignments and it really helped shape me as a teacher. Long term assignments give you a lot of knowledge and experience doing what a teacher does. It will help you in your interviews because you have really specific experiences creating lessons, preparing students for achievement testing, using data, and creating classroom behavior plans. So if you don't need the health benefits, subbing will definitely better prepare you than being a para because you are in more of a leadership role.

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2014

:lol:

It's because my own willingness to move is what got me my first teaching job.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2014

Caesar teaches in a state that seems to consistently have openings. It's a good question for job seekers to consider.:2cents:

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2014

I will add that I know that relocating isn't an option for everyone. When it is an option, though, many more job opportunities become available.

14. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Aug 11, 2014

I know a friend who had to relocate. It is definitely easier and she got a job way sooner than I did. Sadly it wasn't an option for me since my fiancé works for the city…due to a hookup in the family…not a good idea for him to leave. Plus I have no car…

And yes, I got interviews after the school year starts. Teachers leave mid-year, or they may need an additional teacher! I actually had to sub another year after I graduated from grad school, EVEN with a special ed license! Schools definitely world rather fill up any classrooms with someone dual certified (I have a gen ed class and I went for special ed, but I will be more prepared since I know the ropes some more.)

Just keep trying, you'll eventually get something!!! If you HAVE to, take the para job and still apply for teaching positions.

15. Crafty6

Crafty6 Rookie

Aug 12, 2014

So I interviewed for an assistant position and she offered me the job that same day. I told her I would need time to think about it. Then I got called for 2 interviews for teaching positions at different districts. I interviewed at both schools today and am unsure about whether they will call me or whether I even like the positions, but at this point I don't want to be choosy.

I did receive a call today to interview on Thursday at a district that I am not crazy about but said I would go.

So now I want to wait to see what the other two school say but I do need to give the Principal who interviewed me for the assistant position an answer. She did say she knows that I am wanting to teach and that I can take the job and still apply for other jobs. I just don't know how it looks to take and assistant position and leave if another job is found during the school year.

So that is my dilemma. The school for the teaching assistant position is a wonderful school and I would get to work one on one with K-2 with special needs, pretty much my dream job but the pay is awful and I hate the idea of having to live so poor for another whole year, especially when I have student loans to pay.

So what to do if the other district calls me? Take a teaching job in a district I am do not want to work or take and assistant job and continue searching for the right position? Could I find something middle of the year?

Thanks!

16. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2014

Personally, I would apply/interview until school starts. After school starts, I would stop looking for another position. But that is just me :)

17. Crafty6

Crafty6 Rookie

Aug 12, 2014

I am just outside of Chicago and I haven't really applied to any CPS schools so I am not sure if the suburban schools are different. I thought, or assumed, that there was a contract. I will definitely have to check that out! Thanks for the info.

18. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2014

I'm sorry, I misread your earlier post or got it confused with another's. Scratch my advice then. I know nothing about hiring in the burbs or about any unions that may exist out there.

19. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 13, 2014

I would take the assistant job, but continue searching for teaching jobs. I took an assistant job, worked a year and 3 months there. I was hired by a nearby school district as a SPED teacher because the principals knew each other and one had a position open up midyear. My principal recommended that I apply and I got hired.

20. Crafty6

Crafty6 Rookie

Aug 13, 2014

Well, here is an update: I declined the assistant position. It just didn't feel right. I also had two interviews yesterday and have an interview tomorrow for teaching positions, so I guess I am just hopeful and don't want to throw in the towel just yet on finding something. Also, I decided to take Miss Papa's advice and not to quit until school starts, then start looking for alternative positions.

Also, the Principal for that position seemed so desperate. She called me this morning and asked if I had made up my mind. It was only 2 days since the interview and I had told her I needed a few days. She gave me the deadline of noon to make a decision. Also she kept stressing to me that the resource teacher was retiring next year, so a position might open up. I know that nothing is ever for certain, so I just said no and explained my situation with the interviews. When an opportunity comes up, usually they ask if you can come in at a certain time the next day, and I did not want to be put in an awkward position if I started working already.

Anyways...I think it no prospects come up by tomorrow or Friday, I will start actively looking for assistant positions or sub positions at districts I really want to get into to.