Advice for a head teacher

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by jteach89, Mar 28, 2014.

1. jteach89

jteach89 Companion

Mar 28, 2014

hello all, I need some ideas on how to be a better lead teacher. ive been a lead teacher for a preschool age daycare for about 7 months. My team is great, we have meetings, communicate, but it still seems like im frustrated and trying to split myself into three.

They both have been flexible with me, even though im fairly new to this field. However, ive been noticing a lot of frustrations from all of us. Both of them have a lot more experience than me but dont have the credentials to be a head teacher. So a part of me feels as though they will never really see me as "above" them being that i am the youngest licensed head teacher and not as much experience. My assistant can be a bit overbearing and at times I feel like I was competing. In the beginning, and even a little now, I've had to be more assertive to her because she will do things, and not even consult me.

Im not big on titles; I always expressed how grateful I am, and Im learning so much from the both of them. However, Ive been questioning myself. Maybe its me, maybe im not as organized, assertive or delegate as much as I should. I want to be fair but it just seems like no matter what I do people are still not happy.

So any feedback? If your are a lead/group teacher what do you suggest? I want my team to be happy, at the same time, I want people to follow my lead, and respect my philosophy too, although I may not have 11+ years of experience. I want everyone in the room to feel included. I'm thinking of going to my supervisor for some advice as well.

3. asha

asha Rookie

Mar 29, 2014

I like that you tell them that you appreciate them. I think if they feel that they should have your position, that is in them. Everyone can go to school, so they are the one to blame. I get that they have experience but they still should respect you. The only thing that you can do is to use words like our class, we are team, and give them positive feedback. But if they do things that are not ok like doing things without your knowledge, I would simply say"I would appreciate if I was told about this", always use "I". I am thinking maybe lunch date or something outside work would be good for your team. Hope this helps.

4. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 29, 2014

I would draw them into the decision making process. Ask them for opinions and advice. No one has all the answers. As a group you can come up with a list of ideas and decide on the best course of action.

For instance, our center had more students enroll the expected. I saw the solution, but called a team meeting to brainstorm. The end result was the same, but everyone owned the decision.

It is good that you are not concerned about titles. Creating a team that feels comfortable is not about titles, but about trust and cooperation.

5. jteach89

jteach89 Companion

Apr 23, 2014

Thanks for your advice! things are getting better now. We communicate as much as possible. And im always seeking to do better. Thanks again

6. TchrMelissa

TchrMelissa Rookie

Apr 26, 2014

That's always tricky! Glad it sounds like things are getting better. People sometimes just need to work through their issues. Maybe they needed to know they could trust you and have your respect. I had a similar situation when I became a program supervisor. Two of my head teachers were much older and had many years on me. It took a good year before they completely respected and trusted me. There were days though... man... I wanted to scream! :) Hope it continues to improve for you! Seems like you have a great attitude and humble heart.

7. jteach89

jteach89 Companion

Apr 27, 2014

hi Tchr Melissa yea its getting better each day. Still challenges but we try our best, and earning trust as well. :)