advice for a class of 30+

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by amersk, Aug 16, 2010.

1. amersk

amersk Rookie

Aug 16, 2010

Hi,
    I am getting a little nervous about starting school in a couple of weeks. I am going from teaching 11 first graders to at least 30 first graders with no aide!
    Does anyone have any advice/ideas to share about how to manage this! :/
    THANK YOU THANK YOU!

3. Tbug

Tbug Companion

Aug 16, 2010

Whooo- that's a lot of kids! I had 27 last year and it was tough. Lay down the law the first couple of weeks. I found that I had to run a tight ship all year with so many to manage. Try to pick a few kids that you can count on to help others and can take directions well- they will be your lifesavers! Praise, praise, Praise! Emphasize team work. The more independent they are- the easier your life will be so explain/direct how to be independent in certain situations (like problem solving and organization). I found that my class wasted alot of time during transitions (because they were so chatty) so I often counted down from 10 (or less) and they knew they needed to be ready when I got to 1. With everything in first grade- you'll need to practice this.
    Good luck!

4. happyOCgirl

happyOCgirl Rookie

Aug 16, 2010

I'm in the 30+ club, too!
    This is my 16th year in first. When we had that many before 20:1, we had aides and no standards! I have had to take out a lot of furniture to fit the extra kids, too. At this point, I am planning on taking the first month, at least, to set the tone. I am going to start with rows (which I never do!) and then move to groups. The chatty factor worries me. I have done the chart where they move their clips up or down depending on behavior. I know that is not going to work with so many, so I've been looking at other behavior plans. I just hope the parents are on board for a different 'look' to first than they are used to! We have to limit 1:1 time, the amount that we would level, and sadly, a whole lot of whole group.

5. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 16, 2010

Is that even legal??? I know my question isn't productive, but we initially thought that would be our situation (30+ students per class) this year, but it turns out not to be so (whew!). There would seem to be huge safety issues with that many first graders in a class with only one adult!

6. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Aug 16, 2010

yes, it is. there are no "laws" nationally for class ratios. I have 33 students this year and so do all my coworkers.

Be very strict and organized with those kiddos. Learn quickly which ones will be your "problem" students and sit them accordingly. Realize that if you have centers you may have to run them differently. I've found that having 30+ students rotate through centers is chaos.

7. happyOCgirl

happyOCgirl Rookie

Aug 16, 2010

Yes! That is exactly what I was thinking, too. Our cap is 31.5. I heard they are trying to keep classes at 29. California, and especially my district, has had huge budget cuts...we have pay cuts, 10 furlough days, and a shortened year. We are still expected to have the high quality of education, though!

8. happyOCgirl

happyOCgirl Rookie

Aug 16, 2010

Could you please tell me how you run centers? Do you also have guided reading? I am curious how this will work with 30. Thank you!

9. Rachael84

Rachael84 Rookie

Aug 17, 2010

Where I teach, we can't go over 26 without a para. NYC is really trying to cut down on class size. I'm going into my third year, and for 1st grade, my classes have ranged from 18-24.