Advice for a career changer - New Jersey

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by gkis, Aug 21, 2014.

1. gkis

gkis Rookie

Aug 21, 2014

Hi guys,

I am in the process of getting my certificate for Teacher in Mathematics in New Jersey. Planning to get Business Education: General and Business Education: Information technology certificates shortly as well. I have 13 years business experience (Data Analysis, Web Development, Databases), but no real teaching experience. I have been tutoring Math on and off through the years.

I know my job search will begin next year as it's too late for this one, but I wanted to ask for some advice and suggestions on how to best prepare for it. I do have a full time job now so subbing will not be very possible. I was also wondering on thoughts about applying at private schools and how is the process there. Thanks a lot in advance.

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2014

First, it is never a bad time to look for a job. I am assuming that you will be going Alternate Route, and you will need to pick one of the several options. I personally chose Rutgers CESP - cheapest, most locations. If you want to pay for the grad credit, NJ Pathways through community colleges works. I found my first job in January, and was there 1.5 years, long enough to complete my provisional license and turn all of my certificates into Standard certificates. I highly suggest that you continue to search for jobs, since you aren't bound by a teaching contract that could have you bound up for 60 days. That could be a huge draw if they need someone now! I also suggest that you get your AR lined up and complete the portion that you can do without actually having a teaching job, so that you are ready to go. Private schools work just like public schools IMO, but the pay is worse. You teach Math - you are the golden subject right now, so not a problem finding someone to take a chance on you. If I were in your shoes, I would be looking for jobs on NJEA.ORG, go to finding a job, NJ Hire, and sign up to sign in. It is free and up to date. Best of luck.

4. gkis

gkis Rookie

Aug 21, 2014

Thank you so much for the great advice and encouragement- I was getting a little scared :) Thanks again!

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2014

I considered AR 12 years before actually doing it. I was scared, but a family issue kept me from going on, and then I figured I was too old. Sooner is better, so don't let your fear get the best of you. If you hate it, you will have more experience on a resume and a clearer idea of what you really want in life. This isn't something that I would hit the snooze alarm on - commit now and stay active in the pursuit. :)

6. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Aug 22, 2014

Career changer here. Long time career changer actually. I'm working on completing my Masters in Special Education (due to my family situation, I had to take a sabbatical). I'll have my coursework done in the spring, and student teaching this time next year.

I'm scared as I'm out of my comfort zone. Luckily, I only have to support myself so a loss of income isn't as big of an issue for me.

Advice: since I haven't been there yet re. the job search and career changers, but friends of mine have been: make connections now. The math tutoring is great (not sure if it is private or with the school district). But, if you can try and do something within a school district, that is a great way to get your name known since you cannot substitute.

Best of luck!

7. houseofbooks

houseofbooks Companion

Aug 23, 2014

You might want to check out NAIS.org for private schools in NJ. Also, look at the diocese websites for Catholic schools. Some private schools don't post their positions so make sure to directly send a resume to every private school in your area. On NAIS, there's a directory that you can use.

Best of luck with changing careers! NJ has a very tight market, but I definitely think there are more opportunities for math teachers here. :)

8. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Aug 23, 2014

I would suggest subbing this year to get a feel for it. Depending on your cert status it may not be to late this year.

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2014

I should have asked earlier - have you passed the Praxis II exams for the subjects you intend to teach? It is never to early to do that. I can understand being reluctant to leave a full time job for subbing - huge adjustment to income. If you are taking college courses to complete a course of study, you may not need to go AR, but that usually means you have to take a semester for a practicum. I am sure you have a lot on your mind.

10. gkis

gkis Rookie

Aug 25, 2014

Thanks guys! I did take the Praxis II in Math , very successfully actually to my surprise- scored 174 , 160 needed in NJ to pass. I have all necessary credits needed for the CE, took my nutrition/hygiene test and the 24 hour pre-cert course- all docs are in Trenton, so basically waiting on the CE. Subbing is actually impossible, because I can not afford the decrease in income.

11. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2014

Subbing isn't possible, but your job search is. Positions open up an the most unexpected times. Have your resume (written for education) at the ready, and get it out there. You may be pleasantly surprised!

12. gkis

gkis Rookie

Aug 25, 2014

Thanks a lot! I will be taking a big pay cut to teach (if it happens) to begin with and most people think I am crazy, LOL. So the encouragement is greatly appreciated.

13. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2014

I love teaching, and am guessing it speaks to your heart, or you wouldn't be considering it. I refer to my road to teaching as the scenic route, providing me with more life experiences to bring into the classroom as a teacher. It will give you a larger frame of reference, and you won't be a cookie cutter model of a teacher. You bring experiences, and perspectives that take time to develop. Do you know where you want to be located? Math will get you into lots of districts. Best of luck!

14. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Aug 26, 2014

Some districts will actually hire you as a perm sub with the CE pending and then hire you as a regular teacher once it comes in. I would apply for positions and see what happens. You could also love at religious/private schools. I taught a year while I was getting my CEAS at a Catholic School.

15. gkis

gkis Rookie

Aug 26, 2014

(I responded yesterday, but my post is not yet published, so if I repeat myself, please excuse me) I actually live in Orange County, NY, so am looking at Sussex, Passaic and Bergen and of course anything within drive-able distance form home. I look at teaching as following a dream and hopefully helping kids along the way. it will bring a lot of conveniences to me as a mother, but not financial (compared to my current job) :)

16. gkis

gkis Rookie

Aug 26, 2014

ChemTeachBHS: Thank you so much, I did not know that. Trenton said yesterday on the pone my CE application is in process and will take 6-8 weeks, so i thought I have to wait, but I will try what you're suggesting.

One last question: Did you guys use a service for your resume to make it applicable to education or did it yourself?

17. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2014

To each his own, but you aren't an education background, so I would use a resume service. It is what I did, and I am very pleased. Others here work it out on their own. Have you ever done an education resume and cover letter? If it seems daunting, and it did to me, there are great services available.

18. gkis

gkis Rookie

Aug 26, 2014

It seems absolutely daunting, LOL. Service it is.

19. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Aug 26, 2014

I did mine on my own.

PS where in NJ are you looking because my district has a math opening.

20. gkis

gkis Rookie

Aug 26, 2014

Northern NJ- Bergen, Passaic, Sussex...I am currently in Orange County, NY so looking for anything that is not crazy commute-wise.

21. mathgeek12

mathgeek12 Rookie

Sep 1, 2014

Sorry to butt into the thread, I'm looking in NJ for a math teaching job...I'm in northwest Jersey, near PA but very close to 78. Any chance the district is in that area?

22. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Sep 5, 2014

No sorry

23. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 5, 2014

Welcome to A to Z, gkis. A to Z's software looks very carefully at posts from very new members, and sometimes it decides that a very new member is posting too much personal information. I think you'll find that's a bit less of an issue going forward, though.

Cover letters in education can work a bit differently than cover letters for industry. You might want to have a look at some of the threads in which members have posted their cover letters for commentary, and of course you're welcome either to post your own or to post questions about cover letters.

24. gkis

gkis Rookie

Sep 8, 2014

Thank you, TeacherGroupie :)