Advice before baby

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by stampin'teacher, Mar 23, 2013.

1. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Mar 23, 2013

My spring break has officially started, and based on the timing of my due date, I'm not going back to work until September. Perfect timing, right? I joke that that's how much of a planner I am :lol:

Anyway, we have purchased many things in preparation for the baby, but now I have time to get down to the nitty gritty and tie up any lose ends so....

Moms- what's the best product you had with your newborn, or what's something you never thought of getting but turned out to be so useful??

3. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Mar 23, 2013

For me, a baby carrier was a lifesaver! I used a Maya Wrap and a Beco Butterfly. It made life so much easier having my hands free... Especially since we had our babies only 21 months apart.

We also went through a ton of receiving blankets with my son. He had awful reflux and would spit up constantly, so I always had one draped over my shoulder to save my shirt from the sour milk smell.

The best purchase for me was a "Watch Me Grow" package with a local photographer. She took photos of my first born as a newborn, then at 3, 6, 9 and 12 months. The time goes by SO quickly (he'll be 4 in a couple of weeks!) and I cherish those photos. :)

4. K1teach

K1teach Companion

Mar 23, 2013

My spring break starts Thursday and I also will not be going back until fall! I am excited for such a long time home with my new little one! With my oldest's summer birthday, I was only home about 8 weeks and didn't miss any school. It is so hard to say what you will love. I loved things my sister didn't use and she had things I never dreamed of and our kiddos were only 6 months apart! I will say, trust your gut! And don't be afraid to not use something that is not working for you just because someone you know couldn't live without it. With my oldest, I know the boppy was used a ton and later our bumbo was an awesome tool. Best of Luck!

5. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Mar 23, 2013

washing machine....I can't imagine not being able to throw a load in when I wanted or needed to. Basic first aide needs, baby tylenol, tushy cream, teething gel, thermometer...when you need these items, you don't want to go buy them. And items for mommy...don't forget mommy. Get your favorite lotions, gels, and items to pamper yourself. New mommys forget theirselves and then everyone suffers.

6. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2013

Honestly, I think there is a lot of cool stuff out there that encourage people to spend money but aren't really needed.I agree, a comfortable carrier that works for you may be the most important thing you can buy.

I think what you do these last few weeks may be more important than what you buy. Get a haircut - you won't have the time or energy for awhile. Have someone help you with a big grocery shopping so you have lots of basics. Freeze a bunch of dinners for when you are just too tired to cook. Organize your cupboards - thorw or give stuff away. Spring clean - you won't have the energy to do a good job for a couple of months.

Keeping busy makes the time go faster but also take time to do things you like to do, see friends, walk and enjoy peace and quiet. These opportunties may be rare in the future.

Good luck!

7. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 24, 2013

Congrats on your upcoming arrival!

I agree with everything said. Take some time to really relax and focus on you. You don't know when you'll have the time for it again!

I loved our baby carrier (we have a baby bjorn), our bumbo, our jumperoo, and the boppy liners for the changing pad that saved our cute pads from little boy pee and poo. I also was a big fan of the peepee teepees to catch Nick's crazy pee. :) Good luck and just enjoy it! They grow so fast!

8. BettyRubble

BettyRubble Rookie

Mar 24, 2013

Sign up for Amazon Prime/Amazon Mom if you haven't already. That 2-day shipping will come in handy when you need something you don't have! ;)

Honestly, it really depends on your baby. We had a swing, bouncer, Pack n Play, crib, etc, but the only place DS would sleep at night besides on me was in the Fisher Price Rock 'n Play so that became a lifesaver. The aden+anais swaddle blankets were also great because they are stretchy and the swaddle sleep sacks also came in handy. I used the Moby wrap for a bit but overall DS didn't like to be worn so I didn't get tons of use out of it.

9. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Mar 24, 2013

We ended up using formula after a few months and bought a little formula mixer for $2. It seems dumb, but we never could get all of the clumps out of the formula without it.

I loved the Swaddle Me blankets that use velcro to stay closed.

I read on a baby board after my kids were off of bottles to keep water in the crock pot to warm bottles and thought it was brilliant, just add water when it gets low and warm a bottle in 2-3 mintues (formula or pumped breast milk)

The number one thing, don't think you have to do everything just right, some days it is just good enough to get through the day.

10. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Mar 24, 2013

Thanks everyone! All the advice is calming me down :).

Each day I feel a little better because one more thing is getting done. I know I won't have time to do all this stuff once he's here, so I want to do all I can. I had a prenatal massage last weekend....best thing ever! Next, hair cut & more baby laundry!

11. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Mar 27, 2013

I second the velcro swaddles, a wrap (practice now! Tighter is better!), and cleaning the house now.

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 1, 2013

http://www.kohls.com/upgrade/websto...ferralID=a8347e77-9ae1-11e2-a969-001b2166c2c0
    My mom got one of these... I didn't use it in the tub but when I took baby out to lay them one (I put in on our bath rub and then the sponge thing) to dry. Babe didn't roll around and wasn't on the floor!!!

I would also say extra bottles that fit your breast pump (if you plan on doing this).

We used All Clear (so did my sis) the dreft was just too strong for me. I would use one sheet of bounce with another load and throw (yes the used) with baby clothes so it had a light scent.

Clothes and other things like sippy cups for different ages.

Get your baby seat in the car (get the base all strapped in).

I know silly but buy pads for yourself for after birth...you will need them.

FYI Butt Paste.. works awesome and comes off your hands easily!! LOL!!!

Good Luck!!!

13. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Apr 1, 2013

OOhhh that's pretty cool!

Yes, I already bought pads for myself...something I'm not looking forward to...this might be tmi but how much bleeding is expected? for how long?

14. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Apr 1, 2013

The first few days are really heavy, but my hospital provided huge pads for that. After about a week it was like a normal period. After my first, it lasted five weeks, but it was almost eight weeks after my second!!

15. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 1, 2013

I didn't bleed that much, but I had a c-section so that might be why. The hospital had huge pads that I used until I went home. Also, if you are breast feeding, don't forget to bring the nursing pads with you to the hospital...I started leaking through my clothes! :lol:

16. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 1, 2013

Leigh... those were some of the pads I was talking about as well!!!

17. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Apr 1, 2013

18. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Apr 2, 2013

A white noise machine!! It was a lifesaver when little man started crying and we couldn't get him to stop. As soon as he heard the noise, he calmed right down. He's 9.5 months old and we still use it to put him to sleep at night. They even have white noise apps for when you're on the go and need to calm him down.

Congratulations by the way! I had my little guy in June and it was seriously the most frightening/overwhelming/amazing experience ever!!!

19. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Apr 2, 2013

Thanks everyone!! I'm at 37 weeks so the birth is fast approaching! My friend is also 37 weeks, and last night we dropped our husbands off to have a last boys night of drinking (they're not going to drink again until after the births) and we went shopping around the mall then went out to dinner. I've never seen so many people staring! I guess we were quite an interesting site to see.