Advice about possible job change..

Discussion in 'General Education' started by lovebeingteach, Apr 9, 2012.

1. lovebeingteach

lovebeingteach Companion

Apr 9, 2012

This is the second time I have talked to this woman over the phone. The first time was around January when I told her I would never leave a teaching job in the middle of the school year, but told her to call me back if the position was still open at the end of the year. I figured I would never hear from her again. Well, she just called and left a message.

Here's the thing: I love my job, but I travel about 45 minutes to work everyday, and would NEVER live where I teach now. Talk about country town! The possible new job would be in the city where I have always wanted to live. My husband and I are big city people, and right now we live in a small town and hate it. He has agreed to move to this city if I get the job. (It's the same distance to his job from where we live now and the city.)

Also, it's in an Elementary School, and I am Elem.Ed certified, as well as Special Ed K-12. (My major was Elem. Ed and I had a minor in Special Ed.) I feel like this opens more doors for me if I ever want to do regular ed instead of Special Ed. AND....my son could go to school with me. I wouldn't have to worry about before or after school care.

Oh, and I would get paid about 5% more.

Once again, I LOVE my job. I love my students and assistant. What would you do?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 9, 2012

First, I would tour the school and meet with the principal to make sure that you like the environment. Sometimes the little things mean quite a bit.

4. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Apr 9, 2012

Definitely go and take a tour and meet with them. Then you can make an informed decision. It never hurts to check things out.

5. Gareth

Gareth Rookie

Apr 9, 2012

What's holding you to your current job and location? From what you've written in your post it sounds like this is exactly what you want! Change is always hard especially if you've built up good relationships with your class and the people you work with. In the long run this sounds like what you want though so I think you should go for it!

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 9, 2012

So the job is open for next school year? Definitely go check it Out...could be just what you are looking for.