advice about finding a job

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by Dawn-o-might, May 27, 2003.

1. Dawn-o-might

Dawn-o-might Rookie

May 27, 2003

Hi,
    I am in need of some realistic advice or insight into landing my first teaching job. I have attended two job fairs for school districts in my area on May 2nd and 5th. During these job fairs I had several brief "snap shot" interviews; many which seemed promising. However, I have not heard anything back yet.

I have sent thank you letters, emails, and even called a few schools to leave messages requesting to discuss my candidacy with the principals. Still nothing. It has been 4 weeks since I interviewed. IS THIS THE NORMAL TIMEFRAME TO HEAR NEWS OF SECOND INTERVIEWS? AND IS THERE STILL HOPE OR SHOULD I ASSUME THAT I WILL NOT BE RECIEVING AN OFFER?

I just moved to the area in March. I graduated in December from another state, and do not have certification in my new state. (I was told by the district to wait to get hired before applying for reciprical certification). COULD ANY OF THE ABOVE ITEMS BE A CONTRIBUTING FACTOR FOR NOT FINDING A JOB YET?

I currently work as a tutor for a learning center in the area, and I have based my resume and cover letter after a teaching related resume book. I graduated with cum laude honors and have modeled myself after what the current research says an effective teacher should be.

I am considering subbing over the next few months (there is a year round district in the area) to attempt to get my foot in the door. But I would hate to get a job offer in the next few weeks and have gone through the paperwork for subbing for nothing.

Anyone who has any insight or advice on this topic , please let me know what you think. I would really appreciate it.

Thank you,
    Dawn :(

3. Dawn-o-might

Dawn-o-might Rookie

May 27, 2003

P.S.
    If I don't end up getting hired for the next school year, should I look into working towards my masters degree?

I have always heard it was a good idea to get some years of experience in the classroom before getting a masters, but I want to do what ever I can to make myself more desireable to principals.

Thank you

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 27, 2003

DO NOT wait to get reciprocity- Do it now! You're much more marketable if you're certified to teach in the state you're in! What is it going to take you to get certified in the new state? When I transferred states, I had to take a new section of the Praxis that wasn't requiored in my former state, and go through finger printing again. In many cases there are HUNDREDS of applications for one opening depending on the school district. Non-certification would be one reason to take your resume out of the pile- Don't give anyone a reason to take you out of the running! Get your certs done NOW!! Get your name on the sub lists and tutoring lists in area schools too!!

5. Guest

Guest Guest

May 27, 2003

It is very very frustrating to get a job....its a long process and takes a lot of work....not hearing anything is totally normal.....I did not get hired until late july early aug.....many schools in NY have not had their budget votes, so they are not sure of what their money situtaion will be and if the funds are there for new poistions or teachers.....I happen to be in a private school and we are not sure of who is going to return next year....keep sending things, call, if you can deliver in person its a good thing...you never know, the principal or super just might be there, a face to a name is a good thing!!~

Like the above post said...get your certificaton, itsa huge thing!! Make yourself shine, have your cover letters really show an interest in their district, what do you have to offer, why do you want to work for them??

Dont give up....keep sending things go to job fairs etc.....and go for the sub job ...its not that much work to get on a schools calling list....and its well worth the effort, if you are there all summer and at the last minuite someone leaves you just may be the person they turn to!
    GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!

6. Tara19

Tara19 Companion

May 28, 2003

I'm not reall sure about this because I tecah pre-k but I agree with czacza..... Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

7. Guest

Guest Guest

May 28, 2003

Jobs

Try looking for a job in North Carolina. It is wonderful, the people are supportive and nice. I looked for 2 years in NY state and I sent out about 100 resumes. Look in different states!

8. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

May 29, 2003

Most often they have to place present teachers who have requeseted a transfer or who have lost their position due to loss of unit--this is usually while it takes so long. In my county it is typical to get hired between a week to the day before school starts. I know it is frustrating, but I think it is the norm.

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 29, 2003

I know exactly what you are going through. I graduated Dec. 2001, but didn't really to come into a job until spring/fall of 2002. I didn't and have been subbing as much as possible. I was just glad that my subbing is counting towards my retirement. Not that I'm at retirement age, but to have that time count towards something is nice. Keep sending out the resumes. GOOD LUCK!!!!

10. Tara19

Tara19 Companion

May 29, 2003

keep trying and I hope you get a job! Let us knwo if you get a job!!! Good Luck!!! ;) ;) ;)

11. Guest

Guest Guest

May 30, 2003

I wanted to address your question about getting your Masters-No, do not do it yet-right now your bottom of the pay scale which is a big consideration right now. Also, it won't mean that much to you and you will be the one paying for it. If I had it to do all over again-before I was married and had a family -I would apply to every place that I ever wanted to live-like Hawaii (I've heard they are looking for teachers) or Maine or some other place by the ocean... I would also look out west where they are desperate for teachers. A few years ago teachers were getting $10,000 signing bonuses in places like Nevada and Montana. It's hard to say what is taking so long but the new teachers in Wisconsin are waiting too. Keep doing what you are doing and good luck.

12. Dawn-o-might

Dawn-o-might Rookie

Jun 9, 2003

Thank you all so much for your support and encouragement. It really helped lift my spirits and keep my hopes up. I got a call this morning to interview for a fourth grade position! I think it went well. Hopefully, I will get invited back for a second interview. If not I am looking at it as good practice for future interviews.

Again, thank you, everyone.

Dawn