Advice about Director's Son

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by lovely222, Mar 1, 2012.

1. lovely222

lovely222 Rookie

Mar 1, 2012

Hello Everyone. I have a mixed group of preschoolers ranging from 2-4 years of age. My director's son who is about fourteen comes in about two to three times a week and he basically has free reign throughout the building and is allowed to help out with the children. Well it seems that when he comes into my room, it completely throws my class off and they start acting differently; as in I have more outbursts and disciplinary problems with them. Plus he just sits there and watches the class and I feel like its nothing but "extra eyes" monitoring me. I have no problem with being watched because I feel like I am a great teacher but I don't think that him being there is worth the stress that I have to go through with keeping the children in line because he's tossing them in the air and doing all kind of things with them. Am I wrong for feeling this way? Has anyone else had to go through anything like this before and what are your suggestions? Thank you.

3. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 1, 2012

Yes. Grin, bite your lip and carry on.

4. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Mar 1, 2012

I know some really cooperative 14 year olds who if I explained the situation and asked for their cooperation in a friendly, nonthreatening way they would go along with it. I would try giving a few guidelines such as no roughhousing and giving him a special job with them such as helping them build something to redirect that energy. If you have a good relationship with the director, I think you should be able to explain what you are planning in a non-tattling type way explaining it is in the interest of safety, etc. The kids obviously like the thrill of him being around so you have to find something more positive to do with them.

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 2, 2012

Oh, yes. The directors daughter would come to "help." She was just like the son you described. She would report every little thing, right or wrong, to her mother. But, she was the cause of so much turmoil, I dreaded her coming in my room.

I began to give her specific jobs to do. She did not want to work, so she began to avoid my room.

6. lovely222

lovely222 Rookie

Mar 2, 2012

Hey

Thanks everyone.I do feel slightly better about the situation..yea slightly....@Blue, it sounds like you have definitely went through the same thing. I guess I will put him to work :thumb:

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 2, 2012

I agree: put him to work!

8. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2012

yes, I agree with everyone; be sure to give us an update. :)

9. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Mar 5, 2012

As the director with the 14 yr old son (but not yours) I would say .....give him a job! Mine took some time to get used to it....but now he is one of their greatest role models.