Advice about behavior

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Joy, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Joy

Joy Cohort

Feb 3, 2014

I need some advice on how to deal with a student's behavior. This kid has been okay all year. He can be a little sassy but usually corrects it once he is told. For the past month though, he has been horrible!!! I teach music so I have him for 30 minutes for two days in a row and then I don't see him for one day. For the past month, he's been sassy, disrespectful, constantly blurting out, and trying to basically do everything wrong that he can.

I contacted his mom and she said he is going to start going to counseling. Obviously, the parents realize there is a problem and are trying to start doing something. I need help in the mean time! Today he tried constantly jumping around the room. I chose to completely ignore it until another kid saw he was getting away with it and tried it too. Then this kid argued that he had done nothing wrong (as he usually does).

I need advice! What are some ideas on what to do with behavior like this?

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Feb 3, 2014

What's his classroom teacher doing? Does she have a system in place that you could contribute to?

4. Joy

Joy Cohort

Feb 3, 2014

I'm planning to talk with her again tomorrow. She suggested contacting parents which I did but that hasn't really done anything. I think I will also talk with the Guidance Counselor.

5. MissP89

MissP89 Rookie

Feb 8, 2014

Personally, I would take a firm approach. One of the lovely things about music is it is a very enjoyable subject for most students, so I think you can use that to your advantage.

I would tell the student that he has two choices, he can choose to behave appropriately and join in with the class (and you reinforce that you'd love to have him, it is his behaviour that is the problem, not the student as a person)
    or he can continue to be innapropriate and do music book work (which is dull, perhaps copy a few worksheets) by himself (preferably in an area where you can still supervise him but he can't do anything silly/distract the other students).

Good luck, I hope it gets better for you :)

6. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Feb 8, 2014

Definitely agree with jumping on board with the classroom management plan of the regular classroom if there is one. Next step to me would be talking to other related arts teachers and finding out if it's going on across all environments. If not, let us know and we can brainstorm some more.