Advantages to accepting a maternity leave position...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by HufflePuff, Jul 12, 2007.

1. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Jul 12, 2007

So...I have had no luck with job interviews. I recently got called for an interview that is a one year maternity leave replacement. I am at a loss of what to do if I get the job (obviously I am thinking ahead of myself but...that's me lol). Do you think it is a good idea to accept a maternity leave position? I am fresh out of college and, as mentioned, have had no luck with interviews. I've applied to about 50 districts. My thing is if i Do accept it and then I get a call from another district for a permanent job in August or something..I wouldn't know what to do! So are there good things to being a maternity leave teacher? Thanks!

3. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Jul 12, 2007

I would take the maternity leave position, because it gives you a lot of experience that you can use for your interviews. You have another reference for your resume, which is someone post college, so that is nice. I did maternity in the fall of 2005, right after I graduated from college. I had a couple of interviews over the summer, but no luck. I got my first teaching job within a month after leaving my long-term subbing position.

Are you going to be a contracted teacher with this maternity leave? I wasn't, I was just a sub. If you are contracted, you might have most of a problem to get out of the position. If you are honest with the school, stating that you are looking for a full-time position still then I don't see a problem. I was very honest with my teacher that I subbed for. Stating I will do it, if I don't get a job before then.

The pros of being a maternity sub is getting to know that school better. Establishing connections with other teachers in that building. Once I was done with my long-term, I subbed there daily/weekly, because the other teachers wanted me. :)

4. mincc

mincc Companion

Jul 12, 2007

I think you should seriously consider taking it. NJ is a horrible market for teachers, esp. if you are in Elem., elem. sped., LA or SS. They are laying off teachers down here in southern Jersey.

Yes, something may come up in August (that is all I am pinning my hopes on now and then I am finding a new career). My friend is a retired teacher and she said we still may hear something at the very last minute.

If you are offered something permanent and not under a contract, you can explain it to them if you feel comfortable bailing out at the last minute. That would be your choice. If you do sign a contract, then follow it through and maybe something permanent will come about.

It will give you experience. I wish you luck! I know what you are going through!

5. weisemaries

weisemaries Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

My first teaching job was a one-year maternity leave position. She decided not to return the next year and it was available to me.

I took a one-year leave of absence and then decided not to return. The person in my place was able to keep the position.

The moral of the story is: This may be your "foot in the door" to a great position. Keep an open mind about it and give it a shot. It is better than not having a job come up and having to sub in various places all year. Like the previous posters said--It will give you experience which is also valuable in the job hunt.

I wish you the best of luck whatever you choose.

6. tiggerteacher

tiggerteacher Companion

Jul 12, 2007

I would take it I am form Nj and have been in 4 maternity leave position. It very hard here to get a reg elementary position. There are way too mnay of us. It gets you experience and it just got me my job! good luck!

7. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Jul 12, 2007

wow guys...thanks so much for your comments! a few questions...if it is a one year position...does that usually mean i would make all the plans myself, or does the former teacher do them for me (i hope not!). and about the contractual issue. how do you think i can go about asking them if it is a permanent deal? is it appropriate to ask if there is a likelihood that i would stay the next year? is there any professional way i can say that if i am offered a regular permanent teaching job that i would well, bail on them? again...i didn't even have the interview yet....but i am a think-aheader haha. thanks again!

8. emmyblemmy

emmyblemmy Companion

Jul 12, 2007

Taking that position would be getting a great foot in the door! That is how I got into my first teaching position. I taught 1/2 day PM kindergarten until the end of the 1st quarter and then the AM teacher had to leave and I slid right into that job 2nd quarter. Often times, maternity leaves decide to take the year off and voila, you are already there knowing the kids and the material!

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2007

Hi! I'm in NJ and was recently on my district's hring committee. We hired 5 people- only one of them had NO experience other than student teaching. Everyone else had subbed or long term-/maternity replacement kind of stuff. Jobs ARE hard to get around here (Bergen county) and there are hundreds of resumes for every position listed so schools can afford to be picky. Go for the maternity replacement-especially if you have had other interviews that haven't panned out. If you already have other interviews lined up then maybe you can hold off on the decision for a few days to see if something more permanent pans out but I wouldn't let an offer hand for too long..

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2007

Hello!

Here at my school, maternity leave positions are really LTS positions. The sub is usually responsible for the lesson planning and grading.

As a LTS in our district, there's no contract as far as I'm aware. Is the position you're considering a short-term regular position or is it an LTS position? You'll definitely want to consider that before accepting it. LTSes do all the work of a regular teacher, but for far less pay.

I don't know how you could ask if it would wind up a permanent deal, and frankly I don't know how they could answer it. As it stands now, the regular teacher has agreed to come back after a year. If she decides not to return, they probably won't know for several months yet.

11. tiggerteacher

tiggerteacher Companion

Jul 12, 2007

LTS in NJ usually get a contract for the term they are work-in either 1 year or 6 months,. I was on teacher salary, benefits, and was able to obtain my standard through they mentor program. I know every district is different. I wouldn’t ask about next year but usually if there are openings you would the first chance before an outsider. If not if you you experience. I was able to do my own planning,, and we setup the room together since she was coming back in the middle of the year in one position.

12. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Jul 12, 2007

not sure if it is a long term sub position. she said it is a one year maternity leave position. so...wait...i wouldn't get paid like regular teachers? would i get benefits and all that?

tiggerteacher...you mentioned that you were able to get your standard cert through an LTS job? how long was your position?

thanks again guys...it's good to know this stuff b4 i go into the interview.

13. jenngugs

jenngugs Companion

Jul 12, 2007

i was a long term sub for a maternity leave in NJ the past few months of this school year. it was my first classroom experience since graduating from college last year(yep, no student teaching here!) and prior to accepting this position i endured a full year of no such luck. i jumped at the opportunity for the LTS to get that ever-elusive experience on my resume. even though it was only a few months, i still got salary + benefits and singed a contract because i was performing all of the duties of the regular classroom teacher (planning, grading, etc). i can't imagine you wouldn't get this meg!

i knew the teacher i was in for was going to return in september, so while i was at the school i kept in very close contact with the department head and all of the other teachers in my department (i'm high school english.) i made sure the supervisor knew that i was looking for a permanent position and frequently let her know how much i loved working there. i think this contact is crucial if you plan to transition into a permanent position.

i think it paid off because i just got a call the other day from the principal who said that another teacher will be beginning the year on maternity leave and requested me as her LTS. but, he also said that within the next couple weeks leading up to august, he is anticipating "several" unexpected vacancies and was wondering if i would be interested in a permanent position. the experience, contacts, and just getting my foot in the door absolutely made all the difference for me. plus, now that i have that experience on my resume i'm so much more confident (and marketable!)

i say definitely accept if you are offered.

GOOD LUCK :D

14. tiggerteacher

tiggerteacher Companion

Jul 12, 2007

Jenngugs- I see you are from Cherry hill is that where u are teaching?

Meg- I started the mentor program in one district which was two different LTS positions but in the same school. After that I moved to another district but they let me continue the mentor program to get my standard. It took a little over a year since I move district and three positions but now I have my standards and a lot of experience! I was in 3 different LTS positions 2 were 1/2 year one was full year.

15. jenngugs

jenngugs Companion

Jul 12, 2007

yep, cherry hill east actually. home of all the graduation drama that was circulating around these boards.

16. crayonfan

crayonfan Companion

Jul 13, 2007

does that usually mean i would make all the plans myself, or does the former teacher do them for me (i hope not!).

Last year I had 3 LTS positions. I had to make the plans, but I had the resources from the teacher and last years plan book. Also I want to say that I am 100% confidant that the LTS experience is what contributed to my offer this year. One of the principals gave me an incredible recommendation.