Advanced Math!!!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 29, 2008

O, how I love thee, Advanced Math, yet I can foresee...
    This is going to be quite the change for me!

Okay, I taught Advanced Math one year, the 2005-2006 school year. I still have all the materials I developed, and I did GREAT with that class! However, what can you suggest (website-wise, project-wise, or even handout-wise) for this group? Maybe you know something I'd love to know!! :woot:

3. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 29, 2008

So far, these resources are good:
    -PBS Cyberchase
    -Math 5 Live
    -St. Petersburg Times Newspapers in Education (math activities, found in .pdfs on their website)

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 29, 2008

Get the game Set. It is wonderful for deductive reasoning - and addictive. You can play a daily game online, but the actual set of cards is more fun.

www.setgame.com

5. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 29, 2008

Hmmm! :) I've never heard of Set.

I am finding it so much easier and more fun to find resources for Advanced Math than I had Extra Assistance Math, but maybe it's just more my forte.

6. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2008

Ohhh, what sort of things do you already do? My oldest son's going into third grade, but he's currently working on fourth grade math. I'd be interested in what you do with this group.

7. michelb366

michelb366 Comrade

Jul 30, 2008

8. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2008

Besides all of that, I have found that you simply teach it a different way. It's far more discovery-based. You might do a problem and put up the wrong answer and ask how the person got there. What did they not do? What did they forget?

For example, I'll be doing a simple getting to know you math activity with my advanced group on the first day. We're going to play with patterns--I'll ask them to turn over three cards in a row of 20, with the stipulation that the cards can't be next to each other. With just three cards, can you figure out the pattern?

I'll be playing with large numbers. Out of 10 numbers, which ones would I choose if I wanted to divide by 5 and have nothing left over? Why? By 2? Why? Subtract the smallest number from the largest? How do you know that's the largest number? (We're talking numbers in the billions and trillions.)

Which graph would you choose if you wanted to graph the birthday months in this class? Why did you choose that particular graph?

I seem to ask a lot of "why" questions.

9. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 30, 2008

The one year I had the advanced math, my kids did very, very well. With FCAT, there were 7 level 5's, I believe. I felt it was almost easier to get my students in advanced math to do well with standardized testing because... numbers are numbers. You cannot mess with numbers. If you understand the code, then you can "crack" the code to answering each question.

I am going to start with students playing Multiplication Station in pairs on the second day. They'll also spend some time throughout the year playing That's a Fact on the Harcourt Math website. Yet I think the most fun part will be the lessons involving newspapers. Some are geared more to middle school, yet they are workable. I've already written down which I'll start with- and one lesson involves car ads, asking the kids to come to logical deductions about rounding the prices of cars on the market. They'll also have to analyze the weather section later on and use the list of movies in one of the Friday newspapers to see which movies (according to the class) are the "hits". If my teachers had taken a more hands-on approach to math growing up, I would have probably liked it.

I love Scholastic's Comic Book Math (it's a green book). It's not the one with the comic strips, but they are whole-page comics about different topics. It really does look like a comic book, and my students that one year LOVED solving the difficult questions that went with the comics. The book is intended for grades 4-8.

Then sometimes I will do work in the book... but I go for a lot of the challenges that are in the book.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 30, 2008

I'm tutoring a child going into 4th this year and we're working on multiplying/dividing fractions and adding/subtracting integers. It is so much fun. When I was explaining multiplying by 1/2, he excitedly said, "Oh, so multiplying by 1/2 is the same as dividing by two!" He is 9. That was the first day I met with him, too.

For fun, I would give them extended patterns to decipher. You'll want to offer a lot of higher level thinking problems.

11. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 30, 2008

I did offer math brain teasers when I taught advanced math, and they LOVED those.

Okay, I'm curious, Upsadaisy. Do you have any suggestions for mini-units I can do with the kids (or projects)? In advanced math, I did a camping project where they are allotted "money" and they "purchase" supplies for the class to go camping. They also design a campground (similar to MissFroggy's park project in a way). That project takes about three days, but I would love to do more. I have thoughts about travel/United States math, also, but we'll see.

I should just unload Einstein logic on them. :woot: I've solved that puzzle before. :haha:

12. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 30, 2008

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 30, 2008

Here's one: http://www.figurethis.org/

If you join the NCTM (National Council for Teachers of Mathematics, I think), they send you a monthly publication that has wonderful extended problem solving. Also, then when they have the Florida conference, we could both go and meet up!!

14. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 30, 2008

I teach second grade and after teaching the kids how to figure out multiplication using skip counting, I teach them how to factor foil algebraic equations. They think they are so cool doing algebra in second grade!!

15. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 30, 2008

16. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 30, 2008

17. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 30, 2008

18. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 5, 2008

Any more people who can help me here? :)