Advance Copies of Books?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by ms_chandler, Jun 29, 2007.

1. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Jun 29, 2007

Does anyone know how to get advance copies of books before they've been released?

A classmate in grad school let me borrow Jerry Spinelli's newest book today. I told her that I didn't know it'd be released yet, and she told me that it hadn't been. She doesn't remember where she signed up, but she's been getting books shipped to her house for free. The books are printed with a "not for resale" stamp. I wish she could remember where she signed up for this. Does anyone know?

Thanks!

3. yclark

yclark Comrade

Jun 29, 2007

I just googled "advanced copies" and the only thing that I saw to get them was only to the press or you had to pay for them. I hope somebody can post an answer to this one.

4. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Jun 29, 2007

I'm searching, too! Thanks!

5. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jun 29, 2007

They're called ARC's (Advanced Reader Copies) and I think you have to go through the publisher to get them. I know somebody who has a friend that does this and I few years ago I looked into it myself. I think I contacted a few publishers and never heard back. You can buy ARCs on ebay but they can get expensive for the hot authors like Evanovich and others.

6. Jame

Jame Comrade

Jun 30, 2007

7. phoebe611

phoebe611 Rookie

Jun 30, 2007

Check with your local bookstores (especially the small chains). When I worked in a bookstore, publishers would send us advanced copies ALL the time. Of course they were addressed to our manager, so IF she was feeling nice she would pass it around for us to read. Sometimes it was with a "Be sure I get it back." Other times is was "Who wants this one?" I am a HUGE Stephen King fan so she always gave me any of those.

So, my point is, if you have a friend at a bookstore - ASK!!!

Oh, one more thing - because they are not for resale, when we finished with them, we were to discard them. I have seen some show up on Goodwill or Salvation Army shelves for cheap or even FREE. Good luck.

8. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Jul 21, 2007

Thanks, everyone! I'll check it all out!

9. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jul 21, 2007

I used to get them through several publishers when I worked doing book reviews in a local paper (I recall Knopf specifically). I called the publishers, asked to speak to the press coordinator (or something like that). I think a couple publishers had website sign-ups. I don't remember it being too hard. I wish I still got them. I had soooo many new books to read that summer! You've inspired me to go check it out again! :)

10. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jul 21, 2007

Oh, yeah, I remember they would send me an email of all the books available in a certain month, and I would respond with which ones I wanted to get. Oh, the good ol' days.

11. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Jul 21, 2007

When you find out something, please let us know, MsWK.

Thanks!