Adults who don't drive?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Em_Catz, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 13, 2014

My friend's husband paid for his mother to get driving lessons when she was 65. It was a good thing because she was able to drive to the hospital to see her husband whenever she wanted when he had a heart attack 1 year later.

2. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 13, 2014

This is the second thread I've had to heavily moderate today. I'm growing weary.

3. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jun 13, 2014

As the OP, I have to say I'm sorry that things got out of hand. I didn't want to incite people to argue with one another, I just have been wondering for years why my friend (who appears to be of sound mind and body) doesn't drive. I've asked a few of my real life friends, but they didn't know either, so I decided to bring it to A to Z because we're all so diverse and I always get thoughtful answers here.

However since we're all just words on a page, I feel a lot of things got lost in translation. Which resulted in some negative posts which meant you had to moderate heavily.

So...yeah, I think we're all done here. :2cents:

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 13, 2014

No apology needed from you, Em_Catz.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2014

Have you asked your friend why she doesn't drive? I'm sure she has her reasons. Truthfully, I'm comfortable if someone feels like they shouldn't drive then they probably shouldn't...I'm more concerned about those Who shouldn't but do.

6. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 14, 2014

Have you considered finding a driver rehabilitation clinic/service - they may be able to help you with your anxiety associated with driving.

Yeah. My eye doctor was shocked when we told him I wanted to have driving lessons back in 2008, but he signed the paperwork and the neurologist didn't report me to the state even though I wasn't 12 months seizure free, since I was just doing lessons at Kessler.

My vision is *right* at the limit for NJ - 20/50 in right eye with corrective lenses, 20/150 in left eye with corrective lenses.

My step-grandfather is one of those people. He drinks rather frequently, even though his liver has to be shot by now. One time, he abandoned his car somewhere and decided to walk home drunk, cops picked him up after he had walked like a mile while holding his car keys and took him to the hospital thinking he was an old man with alzheimers or something - luckily the cops didn't test his BAC - it turned out to be like 0.2 when the hospital checked him out.

Now my grandmother has him drink his alcohol two nights before he has to drive her somewhere important like a family party.

My family is odd.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2014

Bros...truthfully...your family is not much odder than the majority of families out there :(

8. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 14, 2014

My son, who is 18, has several friends who haven't learned to drive yet & a couple who have just learned in the last year. No real reason, just not interested. Their parents or friends take them where they need to go.

9. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 15, 2014

I suppose so. It just seems odd from the inside - because I mostly observe at family parties, too many people around for me to really interact with more than a few people at once - otherwise I get overwhelmed by the incredibly small spaces and all of the adults (which is why I love family parties at my rich aunt's house - we usually go outside, so people are spread between the living room and the deck, rather than my other aunt's house, where everyone sits at their table in their giant kitchen, or the old people watch sports on the TV).

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 15, 2014

It's ok, bros. It's not like we get to pick our family! I certainly have some branches I'd like to trim off of my family tree LOL

11. Loveslabs

Loveslabs Companion

Jun 15, 2014

That is hilarious! Such a nice way to put it. Perhaps we need a new topic about the branches we would like to trim?

12. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 15, 2014

All of the family i've described is on my mom's side - my dad's side pretty much has nobody. Both grandparents on that side died before I was born, my dad's brother's family moved to north carolina without telling anyone (and sold the house my dad grew up in & threw out everything his parents kept of his), and my dad's sister is a recluse who has OCD and agoraphobia who lives in a NYC apartment

13. teachinnola

teachinnola Rookie

Jun 15, 2014

I didn't drive until I was 23. When I was 16, I had a medical condition that prevented me from driving (my doctor did not allow it). I used public transit extensively in my city up until that point anyway, so I just continued to use it, or walk, or bike. Depending on where I needed to go, those options were usually convenient, and I HATED getting rides (no dependable family/friends). Then I went off to college and lived within walking/biking distance of pretty much everything I needed. It wasn't until later in college that I bought a car (got the car before my license) because I just assumed I would need it for work. Usually I hate driving; at best, I don't mind it.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 15, 2014

Trying to understand...your eye dr was shocked and your neurologist 'didn't report' you (was he required to do so? ). Was your plan to get a drivers license and drive or were you taking the lessons for another reason?

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 15, 2014

You know that quote you see on facebook all the time, "Some people are still alive only because I can't afford a hitman"...well, that pretty much sums it up LOL