adults posing as children in schools

Discussion in 'General Education' started by 2ndTimeAround, Jul 12, 2014.

1. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 12, 2014

http://www.nationalreview.com/artic...ing-children-enroll-high-school-ryan-lovelace

I can't find a non-biased-seeming source for this story, so I'll approach it as a hypothetical situation: our schools are already over-burdened as it is. How do you feel about adults pretending to be children so they can attend high school?

I would be very uncomfortable as a teacher having a 35 year old man in my class sitting next to a 15 year old girl.

I've had 19 year old illegal immigrants in my classes before, but they had been attending the school since 14, having failed several classes. Both them were deported after getting into trouble (drugs).

3. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2014

I definitely don't agree with adults abusing the system to get into high school and burdening already stretched thin teachers and budgets. But just because a 35 year old man is in the same class with a 15 year old girl doesn't mean he is doing any inappropriate or has bad intentions. Maybe he just wants an education. Teenagers get jobs where they work alongside adult men. Yes, terrible things happen, but there's also good people out there who are just looking to do what they need to do to support themselves and their families and live their lives.

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jul 12, 2014

If somebody is legitimately, earnestly attempting to get a high school diploma, they should be able to do so freely. That doesn't mean they should be doing it using false pretenses though. It's not the idea of a 35 year old man taking a class with a 15 year old girl that would bother me, it would be the 35 year old man presenting himself as a high school age male.

With that said though, while I'd support a free option for adults over 21 to earn a high school diploma... it probably should somehow be separated from standard employees.

5. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jul 12, 2014

I have heard of many adults (non-illegals) going back to high school. I haven't heard of any problems, but I can see the potential so I think a school system must be wise to how they handle it.

There are 35 year old men around high schoolers in any high school in ways of teachers and other staff. True, they are carefully screened. If this is about illegal immigration, I get it. If it is not, then we should not treat adult men at first glance as sex offenders just because they want to get an education and better themselves. Schools must be smart to possibly screen adults, but 15% of sex abuse is done by adult women, and 20% is done by teenagers, so if you want to protect 15 year old girls, it will take more than keeping adult men out of high schools.

Yes, I think everyone is against liars who say they are teenagers when they are really 35. Those who are legal, adults, and properly screened should be able to attend high school in a way that doesn't make schools far more unsafe. Illegal immigrants? That is a much more complex issue.

6. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 12, 2014

I don't assume a 35 year old is going to be a threat to a 15 year old. I am very uncomfortable with one claiming he is a teenager to be there. Holding to that claim, pretending to be much younger, is a big issue for me. I'm also very uncomfortable with the radical age difference. I was uncomfortable, but not nearly as much so, when I had 13 year olds in the same class as 16 year olds.

In my state students must be under a certain age to attend regular schools. Adults may attend adult high school at our local community college if they want to earn a high school diploma.

7. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jul 12, 2014

I agree with this. :thumb::thumb:

8. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 12, 2014

In the article it stated that these "children" did not have to have paperwork in order to be enrolled in the schools. Why is that? Is this the norm? When I enrolled my children I had all kinds of paperwork to submit.

9. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2014

Yes, pretending to be younger would make it an uncomfortable situation. But I really don't see what's uncomfortable about a 16 year old and 13 year old sitting next to each other? I had older students in my classes when I was a freshman in high school. Lots of classes had mixed ages. There was nothing weird about it.

10. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 12, 2014

A lot of the topics we get into - questions that are asked, etc. might make me a bit uncomfortable. I don't skim over them simply because someone decided their child is able to work at a sophomore level when he's 13. But it has been a bit uncomfortable when I've male 16/17 year olds asking about ejaculation and the need for flagella on sperm when there is a 13 year old girl sitting next to them. I am pretty forthcoming with answers and feel like a 35 year old man next to a 15 year old girl would hinder a lot of questions and even my responses.

11. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2014

There is always a 35 year old man in my classroom.

Well, 33 at least.

12. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 12, 2014

Yes, obviously there are adults in adult roles in the classroom.

13. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jul 12, 2014

Why would those questions be more awkward because of 13 and 16 year olds being in the same room (assuming they were being asked seriously during a human sexuality type of unit, of course)

14. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2014

I Googled the title and all I got were articles from websites that one might go to if they often shop at Hobby Lobby while openly carrying a semi-automatic rifle they learned how to use as part of their homeschool education.

I don't think we're talking about something that is really happening. Sure, a few adult illegal immigrants may have tried to register as a high school students. And one may have been much older than high-school age. But many of the fear mongering websites like the ones reporting on this story like to report on single occurrences of events and make it look as if whatever happened is happening over and over again.

All of the websites I found carrying the story are known for trying to spread fear and paranoia about various ethnic and cultural groups. They do this because persecuting those groups is part of their own political agenda. The problem for them is that the only real way to get people to support the persecution of a group is to get people become fearful of the people who make up that group. Simple contempt is not enough. It has to be fear.

The Holocaust would not have happened if the nazis had only convinced their followers that they were racially superior to Jews and other non-Aryans. They had to also convince them that non-Aryan groups were a threat to ordinary Germans' way of life. They had to instill fear.

15. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2014

Interesting, all of the websites I found not carrying the story are known for trying to undermine America with the home of instilling communism into every person's soul. They are sites one might to go if they often hand out at Planned Parenthood while openly waving around bloodied animal furs they learned about from a vapid Hollywood actress.

My point is, your post is disgusting.

16. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 13, 2014

Rockguy, it truly saddens me that you were unable to read and comprehend my original post.

I specifically stated that I could not find a reliable source for the story and asked that we take the example given as a hypothetical.

17. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jul 13, 2014

He was mocking Sarge, not you.

18. allaragallagher

allaragallagher Comrade

Jul 13, 2014

Lmao! :thumb:

19. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 13, 2014

As for the argument about the adults just wanting to get an education, I'm pretty sure most States have adult Ed Programs and offer GEDs. No real need to pretend to be a teenager and attempt to go to high school. I don't think their diploma would be valid anyway.

20. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2014

My apologies if I offended anyone. Yes, I did Godwin the thread, which is something I usually don't do.

My point was not that people who support Second Amendment rights, shop at Hobby Lobby for ideological reasons, or think that the Flintstones was a historically accurate tv show have anything in common with nazis. Rather, I was just pointing out that an age-old strategy used by politicians and media demagogues is to instill fear of minority groups in order to deflect blame for societal or economic problems.

Nazi Germany was just the most extreme example of this concept. They needed to convince ordinary decent Germans that all of Germany's problems were the fault of Jews and communists. They ran on a platform that they would get rid of both if elected. The problem the nazis faced was that ordinary decent people are not hard wired for hatred. The only way to stir up hatred was to instill fear. And they did that by spreading lies and rumors very similar to the story that launched this thread.

The question is what does this have to do with us?

I think we, as educators and citizens in the 21st century, have a responsibility to call out writers, pundits, and politicians when they try to use fear to convince decent people that they should regard a minority group as dangerous or threatening. And that's what I see in the article on immigrants. While on the surface, it's about schools and the problems they face, the subtext is "Here is another reason you should fear illegal immigrants, and by proxy, anyone who might look like one."

21. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 14, 2014

Oh, my apologies to Rockguy. I should heed my own advice!