Adult Space Camp?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by carolinafan, May 15, 2016.

1. carolinafan

carolinafan Rookie

May 15, 2016

I've been talking about space with my classes over the last month of the year, and they've been more into it than they have been about most other things this year lol. We watched a Bill Nye episode where they went to Space Camp, and I started thinking about how much I wanted to do that when I was a kid. My lovely wife, who is also a teacher, told me that they have Space Camp for teachers, and I almost had a moment :) Does anyone here have any experience with this, and if so, did you go on your own, could you take a class on a field trip, is it just like the regular Space Camp? I've got questions if you've got answers!

3. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

May 17, 2016

Several of us have been to the Space Academy for educators sponsored by Honeywell at they USE space and rocket center in Huntsville. Applications are available for next summer's programs in October of this year. It was the experience of a lifetime! I recommend it 100%! I believe you can also pay to go. I don't have any experience with taking students there, but that would be awesome.

4. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

May 17, 2016

I'm going to the Honeywell sponsored Space Academy for Educators in June! :) There are adult space camp sessions that you can pay for too, for educators and just regular ol' adults. I think activities are similar although the educators version includes professional development that I'd imagine the regular sessions don't.

I grew up in Birmingham and our big 6th grade field trip was a day trip to the Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville where Space Camp is. You don't do all the Space Camp stuff - no simulated missions, no gyroscope, but there are a couple of rides/simulators and a museum and tons of old rockets and things of that nature. It's been MANY years since I was in 6th grade but it was super fun. I'm sure you could take students to the full Space Camp but it's super pricey - I think last time I looked it was between $850-950 per person depending on when you went. They do (or did) have different scholarships students could apply for,

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

May 17, 2016

I'm also going in June!

6. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

May 17, 2016

agdamity, what week are you going? I'm going starting June 15th!

7. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

May 18, 2016

June 2

8. carolinafan

carolinafan Rookie

May 19, 2016

I'm in Nevada, and while it would be nigh impossible for me to take a class to Huntsville, I'd love to be able to go myself! I thought I read something on their website that the sponsorship is only for teachers in Alabama. Can anyone confirm or deny that?

9. carolinafan

carolinafan Rookie

May 19, 2016

Nevermind, I answered my own question reading more info.