Adopting a puppy/dog?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by ms.irene, May 25, 2016.

1. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

May 25, 2016

My husband and I have wanted a dog for over 10 years, and we finally have our OWN house with a fenced yard...so it's finally time! We are looking at the local shelters and rescues, and have found a 4-month-old lab mix that I have my heart set on. I want to go get her this weekend (Memorial Day weekend), but I am also thinking it might be better to wait until I am completely on break. I have one more full day followed by five 1/2 days for finals and PD. My thought is that if we get her this weekend, she would have three days to settle in, and then we would get a dog sitter to come get her out at least once during the day until I'm home. What do you think? Has anyone adopted a puppy while still technically in school? Should I just be patient and wait until I'm totally done (June 7th)? I don't know if I can wait that long!!!

3. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

May 25, 2016

Assuming the dog is already yours?
    If so, I think I'd just wait. I think it will make the dog feel really good and comfortable, if (when you do bring her/him home), you're there constantly.

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 26, 2016

We got a shelter puppy. I was still taking classes. Luckily hubby didn't work too far so he could come walk the dog. The dog did fine. If you have to house break be ready for middle if the night walks. If you have your heart set I'd check with shelter..they may or not "hold" dog for you.

Good luck!!!

5. bros

bros Phenom

May 26, 2016

We adopted our dog through a rescue. It took him about a week before he showed his true personality.

Also, get pet insurance the second you get your dog

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 26, 2016

Less than 2% of pet owners get insurance....

7. Missy

Missy Aficionado

May 26, 2016

We got two puppies in December one time; that was a bit rough.
    At four months old you want to get right on the house training, walking on a leash, etc. I would get the puppy now, have the dog walker come, and be sure the pup is confined to a puppy-proof area while alone. Post a picture for us!

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 26, 2016

Missy.. second the puppy proof room. We bought a baby gate to keep our puppy in a room.

My dad's friend trains dogs and she says to keep pup (when with you) on a certain length rope tied to collar & your pants belt loop. Puppy learns to stay within that distance of you. Say like 8-10 feet.

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 26, 2016

I was off from work for 2 weeks when I got my dog so I had time to spend with him and get him used to the house. He was still a puppy so I crate trained him and that helped with times that I couldn't be home with him. I also puppy proofed a room and put up a baby gate so he wouldn't be in a room with a closed door. For me, being off from work when I got him made a lot of difference.

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 26, 2016

Oh, and I went on the Freecycle site and got several baby gates. They didn't have to be new or in perfect condition to work and it saved me a lot of money!

ms.irene likes this.
  11. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

May 26, 2016

Thanks for all the ideas! As far as I know, she is fine at the shelter for now, with one or two of her brothers there with her. What I'm worried about is if her two brothers get adopted and then she is left alone at the shelter...We're going to go talk to the shelter director Saturday and depending on what she says, we may or may not bring her home :)

DizneeTeachR likes this.
  12. Missy

Missy Aficionado

May 28, 2016

Today is Saturday; let us know!!

13. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

May 28, 2016

Yeah I want to know!
    Our local shelter only holds animals for 24 hours, then we have to agree (ie., sign papers) to adopt or take your chances & hope no one else adopts them.

14. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

May 28, 2016

Why would you ever choose to research this topic, other than to give a dig to the previous poster?That's creepy.
    Get a life and stop hounding the same people

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 29, 2016

Nope. My son just got a puppy and we were curious about pet insurance as we didn't know anything about it.