Admitting You're Wrong...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Starista, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

Nov 15, 2010

We spend so much time during our day as teachers trying to teach the children wrong from right, etc.

It's so important that they "own up" when they've made a mistake.

The same goes for us teachers, too.

Today the office paged me to answer a phone call from my OB that got transfered to my class phone... which was the nurse confirming that yes, indeed, I do have gestational diabetes and need to be in their office tomorrow at noon for an ultrasound and nutritional counseling.

The second I hang up the phone, we have a fire drill.

I was very discombobulated... thoughts about baby's health, finding a sub by tomorrow (we have to phone and arrange our own subs), etc.

When the kids lined up outside two were laughing and talking. They know my rule is silence during a drill, but I was not acting like my "usual self" during those few minutes.

I got extremely upset with those two, spoke with them in private, and made them change their behavior chart to red.

The rest of the morning I felt so guilty for taking out my frustration on those two kids. Sure they know better - but I did NOT have to be so harsh. I am 100% certain that I overreacted.

Right before recess I pulled them aside and told them how sometimes grown-ups overreact just like kids. I apologized to them for acting too hastily and they looked shocked -- like they'd never had a grown up apologize to them before of even admit that they made a mistake.

Man, does it ever feel good to "own up."

Maybe tonight I'll tell my sweet hubby that yes, indeed, I do know the whereabouts of a shirt he's had since he was 19 that is painful on the eyes... and that it did not get "lost" in the wash. :woot::woot:

3. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Nov 15, 2010

Now, don't go to far. That shirt is probably better off gone...plus your future teenager will thank you.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 15, 2010

I'm having one of those days myself, Starista--right now I'm not sure if I'm going to yell at someone or burst into tears--admitting that we are human always feels good, and the kids do respect it. I'm sure that everything will be fine with the baby; listen to everything the doctor says.

As for your husband's shirt--you may not need to completely honest about everything...:whistle:

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 15, 2010

My hubby and I had a pretty big argument this weekend, which I just hate doing, but he really irritated me about a number of things. Anyway, I said some things I ultimately didn't mean, but felt pretty darn good saying at the time. It came down to, those things really hurt him, so I took a deep breath, and let him know that I sometimes say things that I know will get to him because I'm angry and I want him to feel the same way (he is sooo good at just letting things flow off his back, it aggravates me! If I'm upset, he should be, right?!?!).

It felt so good to just admit that. We talked it out, and he knew that I didn't really mean those things, but that I had other things I was upset about. I think I will try complete and total honesty every time we fight! See where that gets us...

6. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Nov 15, 2010

I have had a few moments over the decades where I apologized
    to kids when I messed up. Even to parents. I think the parents are a little surprised when that happens. If they come in breathing fire about some thing and you say something to the effect like " you are absolutely right, I should have _______________etc etc. Now they have nowhere to go with it.
    Sort of like setting a backfire.

7. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Nov 15, 2010

I work with young kids, but they do not miss anything! So when I make a mistake, I do apologize and say, "See, even grown ups make mistakes. We just have to apologize and try to do better."

I had to apologize to my class today because I was so cranky! They were getting on my nerves all day long, mostly because of some bickering, but really they are fabulous kids. I finally told them I was sorry I was so cranky and I would try to do better. The response: immediate huge hugs from the kids! Sigh. This is why I love teaching young children. We had a better rest of the day.

I think it is so important to model that we are not perfect but we will try to do better.

8. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Nov 15, 2010

I agree! Sometimes when we are reading outloud as a class I will sometimes add an "S" to a word or add a word that is not in the sentence. At that point I stop the class to point out what I did as many of my students have the same issue (of reading too fast). I correlate it to the mistakes that some of them make and then why this is not good. It is amazing how many of them will concentrate harder after I admit to a mistake they make often. Also it makes it easier for when I correct them. They do not feel like I am picking on them.

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 15, 2010

I have a "Wall of UGH" in my classroom where my students are invited to submit examples of incorrect spelling, grammar and syntax they find independently. One of my young ladies has racked up far too many extra credit points finding errors I've made, but I make the errors and she keeps catching them.

10. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Nov 16, 2010

I'm so sorry to hear of your diagnosis...I hope the appointment went well...

11. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Nov 16, 2010

regarding the shirt....reconsider. ;)

you are right about the apologizing for making mistakes. So important.

I hope your appointment goes well tomorrow.