Admins' Cell #s

Discussion in 'General Education' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Jul 22, 2014.

1. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2014

Yes. I have both my P´s and the assistant P´s cell numbers. They are given out to the whole faculty at the beginning of the school year. I have only ever called the AP once, and that was to see if it would be okay to bring my daughter to school with me (she was out of school, and my grade-level gets out of school one day before the rest of elementary so I was just cleaning my classroom that day).

2. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jul 22, 2014

I have my VP's cell phone number. I'm also FB friends with my P and VP, guidance counselor and many teachers.

3. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jul 22, 2014

That is so true. I don't have a Facebook page (although many of the teachers at my school do). I wish I had a $1 for every time I have heard someone tell me that they have seen my picture on Facebook. Often when we have a field trip or school event, I find parents or other relatives are putting my picture up on Facebook. I find out later that my picture is also on friend's pages after we go on outdoor events. I don't really care and just realize there isn't much I can do about it. Probably everyone out there is on at least one Facebook page.

4. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 22, 2014

:yeahthat:

I have blocked my SIL because of some of the things she has posted. Mostly about who was going to meet her at the local bar and other things about drinking.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 22, 2014

Our principal has a school cell phone so we have that number. I'm not sure if the asst. principal has one.

6. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2014

In every school I've worked in the P and AP have given out their cell numbers to everyone at the beginning of the year. They are rarely in their offices so it would be impossible to contact them otherwise. At one school, we had to text admin if we were calling in sick. I definitely wouldn't use the number for something non work related, and I can't think of any scenario that would cause me to text/call them in the evening.

About the fb thing, I would be livid if my school/district tried to tell me I couldn't have a fb page. I don't use mine much anyway, but it's the principle of the thing. They have no right to dictate people's personal lives.

7. hopesma

hopesma Rookie

Jul 22, 2014

Yes, I have the # for my P, not VP. We are told to text if we plan to be absent so there is a heads up before getting to school. That's the only reason I've ever texted the number.

8. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2014

Yes. My AP has given it out to most of his teachers. I don't have my principal's cell. My AP gave it to me when I had a very violent student in my class in case I had an emergency and and he was not in his office. It's come in handy since then for little things. If he's in a meeting and I need something (say the keys to the supply cabinet or something) or have a simple question I can shoot him a text and get an immediate response.

9. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jul 23, 2014

Every year the P ' secretary compiles a list of everyone's updated address, email and phone numbers and sends it out to the entire staff. So I know the P and VP addresses. At my former school we didn't do a staff directory so I had no idea of the P and VP 's numbers. I like having a staff directory b/c I've had a few times where I needed to get in touch with people and didn't know their number including my VP.

10. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Jul 24, 2014

Yes, I have my principal's cell number.

11. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 24, 2014

That would bother me. My coworkers can email me if they need something - they don't need to have my phone number unless I give it to them directly.

We have a counselor and several new, young teachers that have given out other teachers' phone numbers to parents with absolutely no hesitation. Two of the young teachers came into my room looking for another teacher to whom they had done this. They wanted to discuss a shared student. When the sharing of phone numbers came up I told them in no uncertain terms they were to NEVER give my phone number to anyone. They seemed quite shocked. Why wouldn't I want the parents of my students to have my number? They said they didn't care what time or how often parents contacted them. Well, I do.

Of course, these types of teachers are also the ones that say "yes" to everything regarding the students, allow kids to use phones in class, dress inappropriately, etc. So the parents have few complaints. The teachers don't get the 10pm bitch-fests from parents that others might.

12. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 24, 2014

I know my P's cell #. My department needed two new hires this summer, and there is PD for us next week, so we've texted a little to organize that. I have cell numbers of three colleagues, with a staff of about 50. The most important number is actually that of the front desk person. She runs much of the school, and I have her cell #.

I would be furious if my number were given to a parent.

13. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2014

ICAM.

14. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 24, 2014

We have a staff directory here. I don't care about my number being on it but there are some people who choose to leave it off. I've never had anyone give away my number. I'm young but I still don't want parents having my number. I respond to email from the time I wake up to the time I go to bed. I also prefer email because it's clearly documented then.

15. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2014

Right there with you.

16. Froreal3

Froreal3 Companion

Jul 24, 2014

I have had all of my admin's numbers. They have all told us to text for various reasons. My most recent one is very comfortable with texts and prefers it. She and I text random stuff all the time.

17. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jul 24, 2014

Our entire staff (including aides, admin and principal) use cell phones to text and call each other with important information.

18. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 24, 2014

Yes. We have a phone tree with every single staff member's contact info which we use in case of cancellations and emergencies. My principal also personally gave me her cell # and told me to use it in case I ever get into trouble on my long commute to work.