Admins' Cell #s

Discussion in 'General Education' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Jul 22, 2014.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 22, 2014

A few teachers (7-8) have my cell phone number because I met them long before I became an administrator. We've been friends for years.

A handful of teachers who don't have my number contact me via Facebook.

Those who aren't on FB or don't have my number reach me through email (I check it from the time I wake up until the time I go to bed).

Anyway, I was wondering: Do you have your administrators' cell numbers?

3. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Jul 22, 2014

It's not common within my school, but there are special circumstances. Out of the 6 admins in my building, I have the cell # of 1. That's only because she's the admin in charge of facility usage when school's not in session and I occasionally need to contact her outside of school hours when the drama club is in the building alone.

4. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 22, 2014

Yes, I have my admins' cell numbers. They actually expect me to use it more often than I do. I don't use my phone during the day, sometimes leaving it in the car, but they'll frequently ask me to text them if XYZ happens.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2014

Yes, We were all given their cell phones numbers last summer before the school opened. We've been told to use cell instead of email over the summer.

6. MrsRed

MrsRed Rookie

Jul 22, 2014

Yes, both at my previous school and already for the school I'm switching to this fall.

7. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2014

Yes,but only for the P not AP. I've never used it though.

8. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 22, 2014

We have for previous ones. I don't know what the new one this year will do.

9. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 22, 2014

Yes. He texted me last summer with a question and I think it's in our directory as well. I definitely don't abuse it though. I've actually never used it myself. I just email him.

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 22, 2014

I have several administrator cell phone numbers ranging from my AP to my Superintendent. I have never used the latter but it's good to have if I'm running an on-site testing center and something crazy happens.

11. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Jul 22, 2014

Yes, I have my current AP's cell number and my last one's as well.

12. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 22, 2014

I have one of my admin's numbers. I had needed it to communicate with her when accepting the position, but she gives it out to the new hires. I've only used it once which was when she was at a field trip site and our bus going there broke down.

13. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 22, 2014

Yes, I have supt., principal's, and vice-principal's.

14. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2014

At my NC school, I didn't have it until the last two years (of six).
    Charter school, I had her cell and home.
    LTS I had his cell.
    K job, I had her cell and home.
    New school, I have her cell.

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 22, 2014

I have the principal's cell number, but not the one for the assistant principal.

16. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 22, 2014

Yes. I've always at least had the P's cell and home number. Back when pagers were a mode of communication, I had pager numbers too.

17. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2014

How it is - no.

How it should be: Every admin should have a "work phone" and every teacher should have the number. There are times when I need to reach an admin in a New York minute, and can't.

In the private sector, the military, and nearly every government agency outside of K-12 education, "key personnel" are given a work phone for such purposes.

That would be a big step up from our current situation where a teacher who calls the office in an emergency often gets voice mail.

18. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 22, 2014

We all have both p/ap cell numbers. We actually get a staff directory at the beginning of every year with addresses and phone numbers of all staff.

19. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 22, 2014

Yes, I have my P's and both Deans cell numbers. I also have the secretary's cell number. If we are calling in we need to text our P.

20. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2014

Everyone at my school does. Our intercoms are rarely answered in a timely manner, so if you need a pick up, help breaking up a fight, or if we see something suspicious we are supposed to text Admin and they will radio someone to come to your room. Also, if you want to call in sick, you are supposed to call a Admin who then contacts the secretary to "look" for a sub (aka a teacher).

I've only used my Admin's number during work hours in an emergency situations. ONLY when I need someone to come break up a fight or a few times I've had some "kids" (they were both 20 y/o, that did not go to my school) come into my room and they wouldn't leave.

Those who are part of Admin's in-crowd text them about personal things, send personal pics (of their kids and such), inside jokes, and they talk to Admin on the weekends. But these people are Admin's "friends."

21. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 22, 2014

lol, same here.

of course we have admins' phone numbers. How else will the butt-kissers be able to invite them out for a beer or wine-tasting?

22. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2014

I can't tell if you're being serious, but I was.

Admin's in-crowd are always busting in their office to talk about their MIL's lasagna recipe, how they went to some concert last weekend, gossip about colleagues, etc. At staff meetings, they have inside jokes with Admin and they always know the scoop (even personal things such as non-renewals) before the rest of us. Luckily, two of Admin's most inside people and I are close work-friends.

23. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 22, 2014

oh, I was definitely serious.

I like our administrators and I'd like to think that they don't intentionally get caught in those snares. But they are human. Just like at your school, we have some teachers that absolutely must be in the middle of everything. They consider their knowledge power and control when a little bit leaks out at a time.

I don't mind the silly little games but I do mind when something that affects ME is kept from me yet others have that information.

24. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 22, 2014

I personally don't, but wouldn't be surprised if other teachers at my school do. We're all pretty good with email since everyone has it linked to their phones these days.

25. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jul 22, 2014

Yes, I have my P's cell phone number. My former P also gave us her cell phone #.

I have had over a half dozen P's in my 20+ years of teaching and all of them have either given us their home phone# or cell phone#. This includes public and private schools.

26. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Jul 22, 2014

I do have my administrators cell phone numbers for both schools I have worked at. Saying that, I am not sure that I had the cell phone number for my assistant principal this past year.

My first school I was supposed to text the assistant principal if I was going to be out sick. If plans for something changed or he needed to send a reminder, he would have no problem texting us either. I haven't worked there for a couple of years but I still get friendly texts from this guy. The principal's number I also had, but I don't think I have ever used it.

At my current school, I also have the cell for my principal and asst principal. I just got back from going to a conference with them and regularly texted back and forth with them there. Other than that, I had their cell #s before but I don't think I ever used them.

27. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2014

Last and Current year - Director's number
    Past 3 years - had my AP's number
    Other than that I have not had any admins number.

28. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2014

ICAM. Some people just like to be in the know and are just nosy so they like to be in the P's inner circle. Personally, I prefer to stay as far away from this stuff as possible, but I do want to know about the things that will affect me (or my team). I wish Admin would tell me (or my team) before telling their inside people since this causes a lot of drama at my school.

Like I said, I have two co-worker friends who are very close with our P (they both invited P to their weddings; P invites them to her kids' birthday parties) and they keep me in the loop. I never say anything, but I think it's somewhat shady how they know certain things about our school or staff before the rest of us.

29. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jul 22, 2014

Yes. My P does not gave a land line.

30. Rox

Rox Cohort

Jul 22, 2014

Yes, I have my administrator's cell phone number. I use it wisely. I use Google Voice, which makes it easy to block, forward, record, or ignore callers. I won't be surprised if more administrators start using it.

31. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Jul 22, 2014

I have principal phone numbers and had them at my last school as well. I have never thought about calling them unless I needed to. In the situations when I have needed to boy, am I glad I had the numbers! we make a point of having all teachers numbers for emergencies. Is Google Voice the program you can use to set up a temporary phone number to call your phone? one of our teachers mentioned planning to use this with his students and then changing it every year. I don't know if he did it or not. I personally would rather have students contact me by email. I suppose though if you don't want your cell number all over the place you could use a google number or purchase a second phone.

32. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 22, 2014

I have my P's cell. I occasionally text him with questions if I need an immediate answer. He encourages people to text him though.

33. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2014

No.

34. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jul 22, 2014

I'm supposed to keep my P and AP's cell numbers in my phone, but honestly, I don't. There's no imaginable situation where I would ever feel comfortable calling or texting either of them.

35. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 22, 2014

Yes, I do. I've had to call/text her a few times when I was at school on the weekend and the alarm was going off (not my fault-someone set it while I was in the building!).

36. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2014

A little different direction - your school hasn't told you to shut down your FaceBook? Wow, they belabored that for a full day during orientation. No FB, no posted photos, don't let people tag you in photos, be impossible for parents and students to get to, because you never know when something on there will come back to haunt you. Just curious why that's important for teachers, but not administrators.

37. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jul 22, 2014

That is so 2012.

Your school says you can't have a Facebook account? At this point, that should be considered illegal intrusion into your personal life. Not to mention one of the dumbest ideas ever. Not only do I have a Facebook page, but I have student's parents as friends and they sometimes tag me in photos. If the photo is unflattering, then I just don't put it on my timeline.

If I didn't have a Facebook page, they could still take pictures of me and post them due to the fact that I'm an actual human form that appears in public.

38. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Jul 22, 2014

My district hasn't told people to shut down their facebook pages. We get quite a bit of PD about "discretion" and it's generally suggested, but not harped upon. There are a number of us who even have school-related facebook groups with our students. My rule of thumb (which others also seem to use) is that I won't friend anyone until they graduate.

39. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 22, 2014

To be honest, I have all of these administrator's cell phones because they wanted to have a way to contact me, not vice versa. I'm on a low rung of leadership at my school, but when I'm at a testing site or otherwise working with students away from my desk, they may need to contact me for something.

I have only hung out socially with one administrator. She is not over my department and we've been friends for years as she's risen in the ranks. I took her out for her 50th birthday for dinner and rum punch.

40. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

Jul 22, 2014

At my old school, I had the AP's cell number. I believe he gave it to all the teachers. I had to call him many times to come get a violent ED student.

I student taught at a school where everyone, including admin, had their own school-provided cell phone. They were expected to be available at all times... I think that would drive me NUTS! :p

41. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 22, 2014

My rule of thumb is that I don't post anything to Facebook that I wouldn't want my superintendent (or any other "higher ups") seeing.

No one in my district has ever been told to not have a Facebook page.