Admin should stay until...?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by JustMe, May 30, 2013.

1. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 30, 2013

Assuming a school doesn't have any sort of security or "manager", should the principal or vice principal be required to stay on campus until a certain time or point? For example, would you find it odd if your principal left every single day no more than five minutes after busses rolled out...while there were still kids waiting to be picked up in the building?

3. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 30, 2013

Mine does.

4. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

May 30, 2013

Our elementary principals can leave at 4. My current P never does; she's in the office working on paperwork til 5 most days unless she has a reason to leave earlier.

I think a principal should stay a little bit after bus riders/car riders depart, but I don't think they should really be obligated to stay until all after-school tutoring or extra-curricular activities end unless a large number of children will be staying in one location (25+). I'd definitely think it was weird if they left immediately after the buses daily.

Our policy, which I'm fine with, is that if parents are not on time to pick up their child, the teachers call them first. If they do not show up or we can't get anyone on the phone within 30 minutes, we call the police. The latter hasn't happened so far.

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

May 30, 2013

I find it odd. My P stays until about 7. She used to stay until 9.

6. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 30, 2013

As long as the admin is allowed to arrive late, I think it would be okay to be required to stay later. I don't think I'd agree with forcing admin to work more than an 8 hour day on a regular basis. Most schools have multiple admins and VPs so if one came early, they might have one that stays late.

Ours both come early and stay late.

7. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

May 30, 2013

I don't think it's the principal's responsibility to stay for the kids (unless they are in the middle of dealing with a situation). They should stay until their school-based work for the day is done.

8. GAteacher

GAteacher Rookie

May 30, 2013

Mine does this as well. If there's a late bus, the AP will stay with the teachers on bus duty but the principal is gone everyday by 4.

9. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

May 30, 2013

I don't know if it should be a requirement, however, I have a lot more respect for the ones that stayed. It's nice to know there's someone there who could handle a situation if it arises.

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 30, 2013

The principals I've worked under arrive much earlier than teachers and leave well after all staff members have left.

In fact, my principal and AP generally work either Sat or Sun to catch up on paperwork.

11. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

May 30, 2013

I'm not exactly sure what the rules are in my school for the principal because we do have a security guard, but my principal is there past 5 everyday.

However, I remember in my district growing up my principals would stay in the building until all kids on the bus had gotten home in addition to kids being picked up.

12. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

May 30, 2013

My director is nowhere to be found until 9am at the earliest (school starts at 7:30am). She's also frequently absent from school, so I'm not really sure what time she "leaves". I think it's highly unprofessional, but just one of the many unprofessional things that happens at my school. (currently grumpy since we were supposed to be paid 10 days ago and still nothing)

13. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

May 30, 2013

The best principal I have known/worked for, who has a great reputation in our district, walked out of our small elementary school at her release time just about every day. Granted, being a small school (225 or so students) there were less issues than at a large school, but she didn't have an AP either. She was extremely organized and efficient at the day-to-day stuff and paperwork. Just like I don't think a teacher necessarily has to stay past contract time to be great at what they do, the same applies to principals IMO.

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 30, 2013

Someone mentioned it's unfair for principals to have to stay later... But I cannot tell you how many times I went down to make copies and found a student sitting in the lobby not knowing why their parent didn't pick them up (or similar situations) that I then had to deal with. I have dealt with so many behavior issues after school. I don't think it's fair that this falls on the teachers working beyond their hours either...

15. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 30, 2013

My P is a single mom with 3 kids. She often comes in on Sunday when it is quiet to get things done, so during the week she can leave early if she needs to.

16. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 30, 2013

So who should deal with students who are not picked up? Or students who cannot be dropped off the bus because no one is home (kinders are required to have someone home)?

I'm not saying it must be principals...but I am saying it shouldn't be me. :)

17. Cicero

Cicero Companion

May 30, 2013

My principal is the opposite. I don't think I've ever seen her leave so early. She normally is outside helping direct the car pick-up, so all of the kiddos are long gone before she is packed up to go.

18. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

May 30, 2013

I don't think admin needs to stay until a certain time, but I find it highly problematic when admin shows up well after school begins. We had that and the number of student tardies were amazing.

Only happened with one P, all the others I've had showed up before 7:30am each day.

19. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

May 30, 2013

My first principal came in at the same time we did and left way before us teachers. My second principal came in early everyday. He had spent time overseas and didn't sleep well so he would come in way too early. He would rarely leave before 5. He always made sure that we got leave at our correct time if we were keeping kids after school. He would wait for the parents. My new principal at the beginning of the year would come in at 7:45 and would leave at our 4:30 time. Now though I know she gets there early and leaves later than us. Just too much to do during the day to get everything done.

20. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 30, 2013

School ends at 2:30 and the office manager leaves at 4:00. Therefore, if a student isn't picked up by 4:00 (which is extremely rare because we are a neighborhood school and students live within a few blocks of our campus) then the principal calls the police because it's considered neglect. I've only seen it happen twice in 8 years.

We also have an after school program from 2:30-6:00 (completely free, too) for working parents. There is really no excuse (in my humble opinion) for a parent to be more than 15-20 min late (since everyone lives within a very short walking distance).

21. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 30, 2013

Our administrators make salaries of six figures. I think that is more than enough compensation to cover a few extra hours per day. Our admin arrives by 6:30 every morning (school starts at 7) and most of them are there until at least 3:30 or 4, often until 5 or later. That's fair to me.

I believe that if there is any sort of campus activity happening, there needs to be an administrator present. Someone needs to be able to handle problems, lockouts, emergencies, etc. Our administrators set up a schedule for themselves about who will cover which after-school and weekend activities. It's certainly more work than I would ever want to do, but they make enough money to make those job duties reasonable.

22. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 30, 2013

It should be the parents. I agree with calling the police on parents because leaving your kid at school for hours upon hours is definitely neglect.

23. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 31, 2013

Oh, I agree...it should be the parents. But there is no way our schools would call the police to pick up a kid whose parents got caught in traffic and have no family or friends to pick up the child. So it falls on teachers and it annoys me. It would be better if we could do as many daycares do...one dollar per minute late.

But to be clear, I'm not talking about kids being left at school for "hours upon hours". I mean thirty minutes after dismissal. Which still isn't "cool", of course.

24. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 31, 2013

True. I don't know how it is at your school, but at ours, dismissal is at 2:30 and our contract hours are until 3:30. By the time that hits the majority of the students are gone. Sometimes there are a few left that were attending tutoring or something, but I don't think we keep anybody around watching them. They either walk home, or their parents eventually pick them up. Again, I teach at a middle school so they're also older.

But teachers and administrators are usually required to be on campus at least an hour after dismissal. (some don't follow their contract hours, but that's another issue)

25. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 31, 2013

Ah, that's a big difference...our contracted time ends when the kids step on the bus.

26. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

May 31, 2013

JustMe, if that's the case, I think the P should definitely be staying until all the kids have cleared out.

27. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 31, 2013

Administrators should, under normal conditions, be responsible for making sure each student has cleared the school or is supervised to stay late. If there are extenuating circumstances and the principal has appointed someone else to be in charge after the end bell, that's another matter.

28. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 31, 2013

The responses in this thread are truly mind-boggling to me (mainly because it's almost unheard of in my district for principals to leave before or with teachers). Like I mentioned earlier--we dismiss at 2:30 and it's nearly impossible for an administrator to leave before 5:00 due to the large number of responsibilities. They have so much on their plates that they're generally at their desk from 3:00 until whenever they get their work done. Most come in on Sat or Sun to work without distractions, too.

29. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 31, 2013

Wow, TYG. Yeah, I've never experienced that!

30. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 31, 2013

Our principals stay until all the children have left. Generally they leave before the teachers, but it depends on the day. Our contract hours are over at dismissal time.

31. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

May 31, 2013

My principal usually stays a while, but I've seen him leave earlier if his kids have something after school. I believe our secretaries stay until around 6 (and school is out at 2:05), so no one should be left at school by then.

32. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jun 1, 2013

And the kid is completely alone? That's insane. Some kid is going to wander off one day and the district is going to have to figure out something safer!

33. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jun 1, 2013

Now that I think about it more, our P and APs have specfic times that they must be in school. One AP has to be in by 7 to be there in the morning in case there are any issues. She usually arrives before the P. The other two APs have to stay until maybe 3:30/4 I'm not sure exactly, to handle dismissal. Once they leave if kids are still around there is an aid that stays until 5. I think the P has to stay until then, but I'm not sure. If no one can be reached by 5 they call the police.