Admin Services credential worth the time?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by ahodge79, Feb 26, 2011.

1. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Feb 26, 2011

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had thoughts about the CA administrative services credential? I live in SoCal and there aren't any regular elementary jobs. I got SUPER lucky to now be teaching 1st grade at a private school (I taught 5 years in another state).

I see that there are a few jobs posted for administrative positions and started thinking about getting the credential.... An MA w/ credential is at least $22K+ I found a credential program that's only 6,500. I do already have an MA and didn't know if it makes any difference when getting hired if you have an MA in admin or just do the credential program...

Any related thoughts would be helpful too!

Are these jobs extremely competitive as well?

3. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Feb 26, 2011

I'm currently working on finishing my CA Administrative Services Credential (two more classes to go)!

Yes, the jobs are extremely competitive. My district has explicitly stated that they'll only hire current teachers for any admin positions (vice principal/principal) rather than hiring outside of the district.

P.S. Hope you're enjoying 1st grade. I taught 1st grade for one year and it was fun! :thumb:

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 26, 2011

Here, the path to administration is only through the classroom. Teachers require wide experience across multiple grade levels and must complete a practicum involving either school or district level initiatives.

Additional credentials are, in my opinion, always a good thing in this competitive market although, I'm not sure that an admin job before a teaching position will be a possibility.

5. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Feb 27, 2011

thanks! I do enjoy it- they all know A LOT!

Thanks for telling me about the districts- do you know if they are still required to post on EdJoin or do they just keep it internal? (wondering if the posting I see are really just for official purposes...)

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Feb 27, 2011

They only post on EdJoin if no one accepts the job internally (which I haven't seen happen in over five years in this district).

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Feb 28, 2011

With the turnover rate of principals and vice principal because of not making AYP, I could see getting your administrative certificate as opening up jobs. However, you may only have the job for a year or two before they bring in someone else to make AYP.

8. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Feb 28, 2011

An admin credential also opens up many possibilities for job that are not Principal or AP. I am kicking myself that I got mine in reading. I plan on starting my admin classes in the fall.