Admin questions

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sweetlatina23, May 15, 2012.

1. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

May 15, 2012

What are the administrators duties at your school? How many administrators do you have? Do you know how duties are dealt with?

For the upcoming school year I was asked to take part on the administration team. I feel honored and excited. However, I will still continue teaching, I will simply have to help out more. Currently, there have been problems dividing duties. I want to help them as much as possible. So I'm looking for any thoughts or ideas.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 15, 2012

We have 1 full time principal and 1 admin who splits duties as an assistant principal, counselor, and district testing coordinator. I know that our admin share duties as far as discipline goes.

In my last school, there was 1 principal and two assistant principals. The two assistants dealt with discipline. Our principal dealt with more of the adminstrative duties and dealt with staff.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 15, 2012

I teach at a large school. We have one principal, three assistant principals, and two deans. Next year we are adding one more assistant principal position.

AP #1: Curriculum, standardized testing, creates the master schedule each year
    AP #2: Attendance, discipline
    AP #3: Facilities, athletics, activities, banking, oversees all student activities
    New AP position: Oversees a special grant
    Deans #1 & 2: Discipline

Each of the administrators supervises certain departments. That administrator does observations and evaluations for all the teachers in those departments, handles any issues like personnel problems, parent/student problems, etc.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 16, 2012

We're a school of 2550, grades 6-12.

We have a President, a Principal, an AP for Academics, and an AP for Activities.

We also have an Athletic Director, and two deans.

EVERY ONE of them teaches at least 2 classes, some 3.

I'm not exactly sure about the division of labor between the first 2. The rest do pretty much what the titles imply.

But the school runs efficiently and pleasantly, even when life throws us some nasty curve balls.

6. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

May 16, 2012

One principal, one dean of students. I regard administrators as a support service for teachers. If I am unaware of what they are doing, they are doing well, and so am I.

7. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

May 16, 2012

At my current school:
    Principal
    AP for Academics
    AP for Student Services
    Dean for the Upper School
    Dean for the Lower School
    Athletic Director
    Director of Guidance

All of the above teach a minimum of 2 classes per day. I actually teach 3 as the principal. I don't have near as many commitments during the school day as the Deans or the Assistant Principals. The AP for Academics is the supervisor of all teachers (in addition to Department Chairs). He also helps to coordinate hiring, curriculum, PD, and handles parent/student complaints about teachers. The Deans handles student behavior, as does the AP for Student Services on occasion. the AP for Student Services coordinates, with the Guidance Director, college guidance, SPED, Dances, pullouts, etc.

I handle anything that gets "kicked up" to me, yearly teacher evaluations, meetings with the higher ups and community leaders, and I try to help the AP's and deans as much as I can. I work extensively with our budget, teacher hiring, and staff management and discipline. I make our "professional status" determinations at the end of each teachers' first 3 years as well.

8. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

May 16, 2012

I will have to teach all my regular classes and use my prep time which is only 50 minutes to help with any issues that arise. Currently, I have been more an assistant to the AP. I don't mind it, I took care of the discipline problems at the beginning of the year.

I just want to help them as much as possible and see how we can organize each other. With an extremely small school I think five-six administrators is way too many. We are less than 300 in the school.

9. greendream

greendream Cohort

May 16, 2012

We have a principal and 4 AP's.

One AP deals mostly with facilities.

One AP deals mostly with discipline.

One AP deals mostly with academics (testing and evaluating teachers).

One AP... I have no idea what she does to be honest.

10. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

May 16, 2012

We are a small school in a tiny district. The district is pre-k to 12th with about 365 students. The elementary school (pre-k to 6th) has a principal and the high school (7-12) has a principal. We have a counselor for each school, a superintendent, and two secretaries/bookkeepers in the central office. There have been several days this year when we didn't have a single administrator in the building at all. The counselor helps out on those days. The principals are ultimately responsible for everything that goes on in their building.

11. stenbob11

stenbob11 Rookie

May 20, 2012

My school has a principal and three assistant principals. The assistant principals are not only assigned seperated duties, but also at least two grade levels.

Assistant Principal #1
    6/7 Grade Administrator
    Student Discipline (all grade levels, mostly 6/7 grades)
    IEP Meetings (6/7 Grades)
    Crisis Plans
    Fire and Tornado Drills
    Lockers
    Safety Assistants
    6/7 Grade Teacher Observations
    6/7 Lunch Supervision
    Other Duties

Assistant Principal #2
    8/9 Grade Administrator
    Student Discipline (all grade levels, mostly 8/9 grades)
    PBIS Administrator
    8/9 grade IEP Meetings
    8/9 Lunch Supervision
    8/9 Grade Teacher Observations
    Other Duties

Assistant Principal #3
    10/11 Grade Administrator
    Student Discipline (all agrade levels, mostly 10/11 grades)
    Administrator In Charge of Math and Social Studies departments (?)
    10/11 Grade IEP Meetings
    9/10/11 Grade Lunch Supervision
    10/11 Grade Teacher Observation
    Truancy Administrator (?)
    Other Duties

?=Not Completly Sure

12. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

May 20, 2012

I'll PM you the details (rather extensive lists) but...

1 principal
    3 APs
    2 deans

13. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

May 20, 2012

Will you have a specific job title? Will you be in charge of disciplinary issues? Even in a small school, this can be a time consuming commitment.

I'm at a small school of about 400. We have a principal, academic counselor, and a disciplinary counselor. So only 3 actual administrators.

14. Bioguru

Bioguru Companion

May 21, 2012

I teach at a small (320ish students) high school with a principal and assistant principal.

The principal supervises all of the teachers, takes care of hiring, budgeting, scheduling, etc.

The assistant principal is in charge of attendance, discipline, and parent complaints among other things.

15. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

May 22, 2012

I teaching at a K-8 school. We have a P, 2 AP's and a Dean.

16. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 22, 2012

The K-5 schools have a P and an AP.

The 6-8 schools have a P and 2 APs. The two APs deal with all the discipline issues (there are a LOT)! They also deal with issues with parents, student supervision during lunch, and organizing rallies/dances/fundraising/etc. Our principal deals with teacher evaluations (formal evals and weekly walkthroughs), curriculum, and many other things. I can honestly say that my three administrators work their tails off! They pretty much go non-stop all day long (I shadowed each of them for one day as part of my MA in School Admin).