Adjunct professor

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teacherguy111, Sep 1, 2021.

1. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Sep 1, 2021

Hello,
    Does anyone work as an adjunct professor as an extra gig? I'd love to give this a try to see if I like college teaching. I have a masters in Ed tech so would love to teach that. Do most colleges just require a masters to teach adjunct?

I have spoken to the small college I did my bachelor's at have said they would hire me for it but it's during the day, when I'm teaching my 4th graders.

Would love to hear about your experience doing this.
    Thanks

Tired Teacher and txmomteacher2 like this.
  3. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Sep 2, 2021

I know several people who are full time and like it. ( PhD's)
    One of them started out as an adjunct when she only had her MA. The down sides I have heard are: The pay of an adjunct is very low. ( When you figure in the cost of planning you'll have to do.) Most people just do it to get a full time position here.
    Also, student feedback is taken very seriously especially if you are an adjunct here. At times to keep the peace, I'd guess people pass with higher grades than they deserve. Pressure is put on adjuncts to do what they can to make the students successful and to have fun. If you have taught in a public school like this, you'll be able to cope! :)
    From what I have heard, it'd be fun to teach there if you had a subject that was fun. I would not want to be in a position of having to teach a required math, science, or writing course. You get some students who are not prepared, need the class, and get mad at you if they don't pass. Then there are some who will argue to the death why they should get an A even when they have turned in C work....lol Those are the main complaints I have heard.

4. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Sep 2, 2021

Good points - I'd definitely want to just try it as an extra to start with so low pay wouldn't be a big deal for me. While I think full-time would be great I know it's hard to get in and I don't think I want to do a PhD at this point at least.

Tired Teacher likes this.