Adjunct or sub?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Pi-R-Squared, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jul 3, 2013

Since I have a Masters degree with 18 hours of graduate math classes, I can ask to adjunct some courses at a local university. Would that be better career-wise or should I consider getting on a substitute list so that I can get into public schools?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2013

Have you been offered an adjunct position?

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 3, 2013

Why not do both? Teach college classes at night, sub during the day. That's what most of my adjuncts do.

5. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 3, 2013

I'm a little confused. Is your master's degree in math & you have an additional 18 hours beyond that? Or is your masters in something else & you have 18 hours of graduate math courses?

What are your career goals?

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2013

I've got a friend looking for an adjunct position right now. Those positions are a little hard to come by, at least in my neck of the woods. It's surely not a situation where a person can just walk in, ask for a position, and expect to get one.

In my experience, university teaching doesn't translate well to K-12 teaching. Certainly any teaching experience is better than no teaching experience, but the two are just not all that comparable.

I think that your focus should be on subbing. If you can land an adjunct position in addition to the subbing, go for it. I'd still advise you that it might not be easy to find an adjunct position.

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 3, 2013

Which will be the best for your family? Answer that, and that's what you should do. Either one would look good on a resume.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2013

Agreed...I did a year and a half of adjunct teaching, but it was after 10 years of classroom teaching. I was approached by a local PD center after taking several grad classes. I taught three semesters of early childhood language and literature at night while full time teaching. Nice, personally satisfying kind of ego-boost, but really not all that financially rewarding for all the work I put into teaching one class. And like most jobs, it's competitive. Actually cut throat in some ways..:2cents:

9. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 3, 2013

I am doing adjunct teaching now and I've been teaching in the classroom for 25+ years.

10. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jul 3, 2013

During the semester BEFORE student-teaching, I was offered a rare opportunity to teach one course of remedial math as an adjunct instructor. Rare because I had not graduated with my Master's yet. That experience made student-teaching a breeze since I had an entire semester in front of students. If I e-mailed the university math dept. secretary right now, I would likely get 2 classes to teach. In fact, I replied back stating I am waiting to hear from interviews before I make my decision. The university courses are during the day every day so subbing would be out. If I choose to adjunct, it would be the same course from last year. Still have my lecture notes and homework problems saved. :)

11. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jul 3, 2013

My masters degrees is an M.A. Ed. in Secondary Education - Math.

12. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 3, 2013

Adjunct positions are tricky. I get a lot of applicants who want to teach in an adjunct position, but often I just don't have the need. Now, if you can teach DL classes, that helps, at least at my college.

13. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 3, 2013

You were able to teach that remedial class because it would be non-transferrable.

As cza stated, the pay is pitiful in most colleges. And some pay in a one time lump sum, which may make it hard to budget.

I would have to agree with the others-if you want to teach in a public school, sub. If you want a job teaching, adjunct may be the way to go, especially if you can get in right away.