adhesives

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by pumpkincup, Jul 10, 2010.

1. pumpkincup

pumpkincup Rookie

Jul 10, 2010

What do you use to hold things onto your cinder block walls? I am trying to hang things up, but they just keep falling down. I cannot use fun tac, although that works the best.

thanks

3. ms.defelice

ms.defelice Rookie

Jul 10, 2010

I use hot glue. Things that that are glued to my cinder block walls never fall down. If your poster is laminated it peels right off the poster when you are ready to store it.

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 10, 2010

The ONLY thing we were technically allowed to use this past year, by decree of our maintenance dept, was "Teacher Tape." It's kinda foamy and supposed to be reusable... but it's not as reuasble as they like to pretend. I found myself using WAY more than I shoudl have needed to for simple items. They swore up and down that it wouldn't take the paint off the walls (half the building had been either new construction or remodelled, so they made the rule for everyone)... but we noticed otherwise.

I have more success with Mauvelous Tape.

5. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2010

Try EZ up clips. They're plastic clips with a waxy backing.

6. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Jul 10, 2010

I also use hot glue. Make sure you use the low temp kind though, otherwise it can peel the paint or damage posters when you take them down

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 10, 2010

8. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 10, 2010

I use hot glue, that double-stick foam tape, and next year I'm trying the 3M Scotch Command poster tabs (I had a coupon). My hubby has also strung some things up with twine and tied the twine to the electrical conduit pipes for me - we're required to have the sound/letter cards for our basal series up on the wall, and that was the only way to keep them up!

9. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jul 11, 2010

I've started using velcro, just a little square in each corner. It's easier to get off the walls than hot glue, and it doesn't pull up the paint like the glue sometimes does. You can also take things down and put them back up if you need to.

10. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2010

I'm also a fan of hot glue.

11. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 11, 2010

I've also used hot glue. It comes off very easily when you're ready to remove it. I've also used wax, but it's a little more difficult to remove.

12. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Jul 11, 2010

13. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Jul 11, 2010

why can you not use fun tac?

14. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 11, 2010

I love, love, love Mavalous tape.

I used to use hot glue, but I always burned myself. The mavalous tape has kept stuff up on my walls for a year and half now.

You can even re-use it if you use it to hold up student work that is only up for a short period.

15. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jul 11, 2010

I use hot glue (low-temp) and/or packing tape. I just roll it up in a loop and put it on each corner. Both work well for me!

16. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 11, 2010

I'm a big fan of MAVALUS tape! If the posters are laminated, I am able to reuse it, too! :D

17. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 11, 2010

:yeahthat:
    But has anyone figured out why it comes in several colors? Who sees it?

18. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2010

hot glue for me

19. pumpkincup

pumpkincup Rookie

Jul 11, 2010

Thanks for the suggestions. I've used hot glue in my classroom and it seems to work really well. I am trying to hang things up at church, and haven't had any success. I tried the sticky clips-which I also use at school and it tore off the paint. I used fun tac and it didn't completly come off the wall - it left a little residue. I tried the command strips today so hopefully when I go in tomorrow things will still be on the walls. I am going to look into getting the mavalous tape it looks really cool.
    Thanks!

20. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2010

Double sided duct tape- that stuff works wonders on cinder block! Even in the hot, humid south!!

21. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2010

I have wondered this myself.

My only guess- I know many teachers (myself included) who put masking tape on their whiteboard. (I make an outline of the students' agenda and fill it in everyday.) You can erase normally and it is not permanent. I suppose you could use Mauvalus (sp?) tape instead. Of course, it is too expensive for me to do it (my classroom budget is a whopping $0!!! I can get masking tape from the supply closet!)

22. goingtogigi

goingtogigi Rookie

Jul 12, 2010

I use a low-temperature hot glue gun. It works wonderfully! At the end of the year I use a paint scrapper to quickly and easily to clean left over glue off the walls.

23. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 12, 2010

I'm not a huge Mavalous fan any more. It's not the same tape I used to buy and it doesn't work very well on my walls. Almost everything I hung with it last year fell. My co-worker is the one that repaints our building during the summer. He chooses a latex paint that goes on well, but he says it is one of the worst for sticking things to. (He drills holes and uses screws.) I had some success with the Command strips (expensive) and the rest I hot glued. That was all that would work.