ADHD student who just won't sit down!

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Christine3, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Mar 21, 2007

I am really frustrated right now. I have a young boy with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. He is not medicated b/c the parents found out about 2months ago. This boy is driving me nuts, when I am trying to teach he is up wondering around the room, when they are doing independent work he is up out of his seat and after we took a test he didn't go sit back in his seat he just walked over to another boys desk to talk. Now I know esp. boys have tons of energy, but after all the times I verbally tell him to sit down, he just doesn't comprehend it. The other kids get distracted when I tell him to sit down. Are there any other tips I can use to hint to him that he needs to sit down?

Thanks for hearing me out. :sorry:

3. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 21, 2007

you're going to get all kinds of posts telling you to set up some kind of chart and do some stickers or rewards. I'm not going to tell you that. Everytime this kid gets up, sit him back down. STand right next to him if you have to. Don't let him even begin to get up. Keep saying sit down, sit down, sit down. He will get the message. Be dramatic if necessary, but do NOT let him get up. When you move away from him and you see him getting up, RUN as fast as you can to him and tell him to SIT DOWN. He will learn.

4. Christine3

Christine3 Cohort

Mar 21, 2007

Okay, thanks Grammy. I agree, I should just keep on reinforcing it.
    Giving the "teacher look" has actually worked a couple times with him.

Thanks again!

5. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 21, 2007

I agree with Grammy, I subbed today in a self contained class. Similar scenario... luckily the aide was there who knows the class very well. It is all about staying on task. Leaving him little room to do anything else. If he's up. He's redirected to his seat.

6. georgonm

georgonm Rookie

Mar 21, 2007

I'm in a classroom where we have three or four boys like this! Like everyone said, proximity control is important. The teacher in the classroom and I spend most of our time standing or sitting near these boys and it seems to help.

Also, since he is ADHD, maybe you could work some more movement into his schedule. You can't give him a lot of special attention, but maybe giving him some more opportunities or incorporating more movement into your lessons for him would work. Of course, you have to make sure that doesn't turn into an even more distracting behavior problem...

it's a tricky situation.

7. ctopher

ctopher Comrade

Mar 21, 2007

If he has ADHD he's not up and out of his seat to be naughty and he's probably not even aware he's doing it. He physically is UNABLE to sit still....I have it myself and until I was medicated my students always asked me why I kept moving, tapping, etc. I couldn't sit still. I agree that reminders will help.....try a signal. Calling too much attention to him over and over is only going to make him uncomfortable this shouldn't be a punishment.

8. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Mar 21, 2007

I've typically sat those types of students toward the back or side of the room where the motion wouldn't be as noticed by other students. Sometimes allowing a student to stand at their desk at the back of the room helps.

9. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Mar 21, 2007

I have a kiddo like that. I took a picture of him sitting down doing his work. I wrote "I will sit in my seat" and taped it to his table. He has a visual prompt of the expectation, so I don't always have to keep telling him to sit down, just point to the picture.

10. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 21, 2007

If it won't disrupt your other students, give him a fidget toy while he is sitting and working. It can be velcro under the desk, a homemade man made out of craft pipecleaners, a stress ball, a rubber band, etc.

11. ctopher

ctopher Comrade

Mar 22, 2007

I love this idea!!! I'm adding it to my file of tips and tricks! Thank you for sharing!

12. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 22, 2007

I really like the idea of the picture on his desk.

13. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Mar 22, 2007

Going off of the idea of a picture...I have a boy who is like that (also has tourettes...not sure if I spelled it correctly) and he has a picture of each activity that we do. Since there are so many throughout the day, they are just taped to the whiteboard and he can see what we are supposed to be doing. It also helps some of the others who aren't following directions too.

14. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Mar 22, 2007

Your welcome. It was so cute because the day I put it on his table, the resourse teacher came to do some testing with him, and he pointed to the picture and said, "Look Mrs. ___, this is my expectation!"

Now I can get him to sit down ok.... just gotta stop the whining...

15. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

Mar 22, 2007

I LOVE this idea! Those little stress balls or silly putty would be great to rub between your fingers.

In fact, I need some right now!

Good Luck!

16. tchecse

tchecse Companion

Mar 22, 2007

Me too...I often joke that that is what is so great about being a special ed preschool teacher-I can move around all day:) Definately give him a "fidget" item for his desk-that will certainly help with things. Also, if you can fit little breaks in where he can move around, that is helpful too. One other thing, I don't know if you allow your students to work on the floor, but sometimes just changing locations is enough to refocus. Especially if they can work on their stomachs.

17. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Mar 23, 2007

Okay...I'm clueless...why the stomach?

18. PurpleTweety

PurpleTweety Companion

Mar 24, 2007

I had a first frader a few years ago who just could not stay in his seat. I finally moved his desk a bit to the side and taped off (masking tape) a square around his desk (maybe 2 or 3 feet). He was free to move around inside the square, but not out of it. It helped A LOT! He would still be often out of his seat, but he was no longer running around the room disturbing everyone else. He gradually was able to control himself more, and the square was gone before the end of the year.

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 24, 2007

Put him on a behavior contract. He may never get put on meds-some parents just won't do it. He needs to learn to control his impulses.

Look into OT balls- they look like those big exercise balls people use for sit ups. We use in my building for kids who just need to move- they sit on one instead of a chair...

20. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Mar 25, 2007

I'm happy if they're at their seats. I don't care if they don't sit in it. I put the standers in the back of the room so they don't block somebody else's view.

With my one child I don't use a stress ball (it would become a missile, launched across the room) I use the stress ball

During the months we can't get outside I bring in the mini-trampoline. All of the kids love it & it helps those with the excess energy.

Some one said let them lay on the floor, especially on their stomaches. My kids love to do that. But why the stomache?

21. georgonm

georgonm Rookie

Mar 26, 2007

The best thing to do is really just try as many different ideas as you can!

I think after a couple attempts, you'll be able to figure out what really works. Also, knowing your student will help. Everyone has offered great ideas, so you just have to decide what is going to interest and motivate your student best.

For some of the students we have, it is a sticker at the top of his paper, and for some, it's being able to work somewhere other than his seat. I think it's really all about tapping into their individual needs.

22. childcare teach

childcare teach Comrade

Mar 26, 2007

have tried giving him something to hold like a stress ball we have a child that will not sit for morning meeting so we gave him a stress ball and it helps keep him grounded so to speak.