ADHD Strategies

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Doublescoop, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Doublescoop

Doublescoop Companion

Mar 10, 2006

I'm sure many of you are dealing with children in your class who display characteristics of ADHD--lack of focus, hyperactivity, inability to sit still for more than 1 minute, blurting, etc.

What strategies are you using to handle the child?

3. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Mar 10, 2006

If you do a forums search at the top, there have been a lot of different discussions on adhd methods. There have been some really great ideas shared in those threads. Good luck!!

4. Jaicie

Jaicie Rookie

Mar 15, 2006

Hi, Doublescoop!

What strategies have you tried with your ADHD students? The first thing I usually try with my 22 1st and 2nd graders is proximity. I walk slowly toward the inattentive student, not usually giving eye contact with him/her, and continue teaching, calling on students, etc. Then I stand near the student as I continue teaching. Sometimes I lean against his/her desk or gently put my hand on his/her shoulder or arm if I know the student really well. I also like to make general statements directed at the entire class, such as ...

"Students who raise their hands will be called on."
    "I only call on children with their hands up."
    "When I hear several voices at once, I just don't even know where to look. Please raise your hand. Thanks!"
    "I see Rachel has a quiet hand raised. Rachel?"
    "I'm noticing that Juan is giving eye contact and paying attention. That makes me think he's ready to listen and learn."

The behavior management techniques that work best with all my students, ADHD or not, have come from Jim Fay's book, Teaching with Love & Logic. Have you heard of it?

I'm interested to see what other strategies teachers offer here on the board, too. It's always helpful to have new ideas to try in the classroom!

Take care and good luck,
    Jaicie