ADHD Strategies for the classroom

Discussion in 'Behavior Management Archives' started by iluvkindy, Jul 25, 2005.

1. iluvkindy

iluvkindy Rookie

Jul 25, 2005

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the Forum and a relatively new teacher (going on 3 yrs). Right now I am taking a special education course and I am trying to research ideas/tips/strategies that could be useful to handle an ADHD student in the classroom. I would appreciate if anyone could share some specific strategies that you use in your classroom. Thanks so much!! :angel:

3. Jaicie

Jaicie Rookie

Jul 31, 2005

a few strategies

These are some things I do in my 1st/2nd grade classroom. Seat ADHD students at the front of the room, as close to instruction as possible. Allow them to stand at their desk to work if they prefer. Provide a cardboard study carrel at a table or desk to help reduce distractions. I turn off half of the flourescent lights in the classroom and have 4 regular lamps on for a more homey feel and not as much buzzing/humming from the overhead lights.

Limit the amount of red and orange in the room. Soothing, calming colors are green, blue, and purple.

Give positive reinforcement whenever you "Catch 'em being good". I use phrases such as,
    "I noticed that your voice is turned off and you're giving me eye contact. Thank you!"
    "I can tell that (name) is ready to listen and learn. Thanks!"
    (One thing I don't say, "I like the way that (name) is working.")

Hope this helps!

~Jaicie :)

4. iluvkindy

iluvkindy Rookie

Jul 31, 2005

Thanks so much Jaicie!
    I really appreciate learning practical strategies to use in my classroom. I have done a lot of research in this area now and it seems that there are a lot of strategies available, but they are not very practical to use in the classroom. The ones you mentioned are great. Two new ones I've never seen before are the use of lamps and avoiding red & orange colours.
    Thanks again.
    ilivkindy

5. liz

liz Rookie

Jul 31, 2005

You might want to read some of the "Feng Shui" books for the classroom. You'll be surprised just how many of titles you will find. Easy reading but they will give you the latest research on changing your classroom environment to reduce or increase certain behaviors (alertness, relaxation, concentration, retention of knowledge, self-control, etc.). Colors and lighting are areas to consider but they also cover things like Yin and Yang, eliminating clutter, furniture arrangemen,etc.
    I find it interesting to consider the Five Elements (wood, water, fire, m,etal and earth) when arranging your room.
    Just something else to consider at the beginning of a new year.....have fun!

6. iluvkindy

iluvkindy Rookie

Jul 31, 2005

Neat idea Liz!
    Thanks!

7. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 1, 2005

I went to a conference last yr on ADHD, ODD, and conduct disorder. There they said to get a plug in or something that smells like vanilla. Just a light smell will help them calm down. If you dont' want to do that. They said to buy scented votives. PUt them in a plast zip lock bags and give to the student when they start to act up. I'll have to find my notes for what scents. Also, buy some felt to staple to a board. The feel of it might calm them down. I'm sure there are more ideas in my note book, I'll find it and post this afternoon.

8. iluvkindy

iluvkindy Rookie

Aug 1, 2005

Wow JaimeMarie!
    I've never heard of those ideas either. I would love to have vanilla scent in my classroom, I'm just not sure about allergies! But thanks for the tips! :angel:
    iluvkindy

9. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 13, 2005

I have used a balance ball for the kids to sit/bounce on. They also have finger fidgets-silly putty, or the like to keep their fingers moving.

10. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 13, 2005

My allergist says you can't be allergic to smells. It's more like they are an irritant to the allergies you already have. He says it's like you bruise your leg then someone keeps pushing on it.

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 13, 2005

12. Brenda

Brenda Companion

Aug 13, 2005

I don't supose you would consider coming to our school to teach (in New Brunswick :)? I can honestly say that youare the first teacher I've heard of that would go to lengths to learn about and accomodate children with ADHD (and as a mom with three ADHD boys, I can say that I appreciate the effort if no one else acknowledges it). :wow:

Brenda

13. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 14, 2005

Brenda,
    Do you find if the boys start to get hyper if you give them a healthy snack they will calm down? I found this with two students I worked with. One was a high school boy the other is going into second grade. What do you think?

14. Brenda

Brenda Companion

Aug 14, 2005

You knnow... someone once told me a couple years ago that coffee had the opposite effect for a child who is ADHD than for us. I didn't believe it and hadn't tried it until last summer (curiosity). IT WORKS! Talklk about mellow a child out!

We avoid the sugary snacks because I have found it to be too stimulating for them and a road for disaster. When they were in public school, we didn't have that kind of co-operation with the teachers to be able to offer something like that (I really struggle to be positive about the schools here - please forgive me). Their idea was to keep them drugged up and not look at alternative options (healthy snacks, the coffee idea, standing at the desk when they were fidgety, etc).

I think it would work - I know it would - I've watched it first hand myself.
    Brenda

15. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 14, 2005

That stinks you had so much trouble. I can see both sides of the picture working in a public school. We have a child that has ADHD, tourettes, and ODD.
    His parents took him off his ADHD meds and left him on the tourettes meds. It was horrible. He became very aggressive, hurting all the other children. We would feed him let him wander around. But it just wasn't enough. He couldn't even sit and concentrate for two minutes. He would get so frustrated. He is one of my favorite (I know I shouldn't have favorites). He is hard not to like even when he is naughty. I can deal with the tic but that behavior just wasn't safe for the rest of the children.
    His parents mess with the meds all the time. He's on he's off he's on he's off. I wish they would just follow the doctors advice. I think he would be much more successul in school.