ADHD Nightmare!!!!

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by english9teach, Mar 25, 2007.

1. english9teach

english9teach Rookie

Mar 25, 2007

I've had a horrible time with students who are uncontrollable in the classroom. The parents claim they have ADHD and won't do anything to correct the behavior themselves. I don't mean to sound hateful, because I know this condition does affect some kids, but why do I have to sacrifice an entire lesson to one student's antics over and over again?

At the beginning of the year, I was given a problematic 6th period with 3 ADHD kids and one kid with severe behavior disturbances (she wanted to fight everyone, even me). The class became a nightmare and no one was learning anything. Finally, the VP came in and decided to take three students out. I targeted the two most disruptive ADHD students and the one with behavior disturbances. (She was moved to a emotional/behavior classroom.) THEN.... the guidance counselors said they could only move one of the others... and he was only going to be moved into another class of mine.

The guidance counselors in their infinite wisdom decided to put this extremely disruptive, disrespectful student in with the honors class! :eek: What the heck!?! Now he is disturbing that class. I'm really at my wits end. Plus, he's not doing any work no matter how hard I get on his case so he is going to be back in my class again next year. What do I do?

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 25, 2007

cry? You teach 9th grade english? Maybe he will grow up some over the summer. I take it you can't kick him out when he is being distruptive?

4. historybuff91

historybuff91 Companion

Mar 25, 2007

What a terrible environment. I feel for you, I had lunch duty with 4 ADHD kids. Personally I can't see how the counselors can defend their position to keep him in an honors class. Dont they realize parents will complain if they hear their children are being disrupted in class? Or even worse they will claim that they get bad grades because of the student. Well I would definitely get on guidances behinds about this one, especially since he is doing bad in honors. Maybe I'm over reacting since I am not a big fan of guidance counselors (one changed my grade for a student w/o asking or even telling me!).

5. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Mar 25, 2007

This might be one of those times when the parents of the good students become your biggest allies! Surely the good students are carrying home tales of this student's antics; if any of the parents ask you about it, tell them the truth.

Administrations generally listen to parents when they won't give the teacher the time of day.

(I have a low opinion of guidance counselors, too. Ours wouldn't touch ANYTHING that had to do with sex or discipline, and the high school counselors are too busy getting the top ten seniors into the colleges of their choice with scholarships out the wazoo.)