ADHD?? How is it in the classroom?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by JoeInTraining, Oct 14, 2005.

1. JoeInTraining

JoeInTraining Companion

Oct 14, 2005

Hello everyone,

I currently volenteer as a big brother and it hasnt been confirmed but im pretty sure the little brother I have has ADHD (Attention Disorder). The reason I think he has it is because it only takes about 5 minutes for him to want to do somthing else... I play about 5 games every time i see him because he gets so bored so easily... I even went to a movie with him and when hes waiting for the movie to start he gets irratble very fast and bored within minutes.. I remember myself as a child I could play with a stick for hours on end lol so I know there is somthing different about him. Anyways my question is do you tend to see this a lot on the classroom with many students? and if so do they get special treatment or what happens?

Any feedback would be appreciated

Joe

3. meri78

meri78 Rookie

Oct 14, 2005

joe-we are seeing this a lot more in the classroom. as far as "special treatment" goes, it really depends on the child. case in point: in my current classroom, all of the students i have who have this (3/16) are medicated and do fine in class. however, when i student taught we had one child who was a rather severe case. he too was medicated but i believe they had an iep in place for him. as you may know, this would require certain accomodations to be made by the classroom teacher (as well as other teachers possibly). the school i'm at now does not require this as long as the children can function ok in class. hope this helps! -meri

4. JoeInTraining

JoeInTraining Companion

Oct 15, 2005

Thanks for the reply. I did find out he does have adhd so now I can try and work on how to deal with situations that sometimes occur. Again thanks for the reply and the info :)

Joe