Addressing the Stink

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by AndreaIL, Aug 23, 2004.

1. AndreaIL

AndreaIL Rookie

Aug 23, 2004

I have a problem that I don't know how to address. I teach junior high, and my class is mostly boys. They're good kids, and it's obvious they give a lot of thought to their appearance, making sure they are wearing clothes they like, combing their hair, etc.

The problem is that they stink! Many of them clearly don't wear deodorant, and after gym or lunchtime recess, it's unpleasant in the room, to say the least. Air fresheners help, but these kids ought to be wearing Right Guard or something.

My personal feeling is that the parents ought to be giving them the whole puberty speech and discussing personal hygiene with them, but it's getting to be really quite gross. We don't really have a health program, and seeing as I teach literature and history, how can I mention this problem to the class without it seeming bizarre and without embarassing anyone? (It's not one or two kids--- it's probably a good ten or twelve.)

3. emccoy

emccoy Companion

Aug 24, 2004

Pehaps a letter to all parents of the class addressing the problem and a suggestion (worded quite carefully) to the parents to speak with the kids about the aroma :D problems.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2004

I have two teenage sons- it may not be a parent/home hygiene problem. Even though kids leave the house clean, showered, and deodorized in the morning, they play HARD. You mentioned that the odor is after lunch or gym. Maybe the gym teacher can lend a hand here- encourage bringing deodorant in the gym bag, change of socks for gym. Can they shower? We used to shower but I know they don't shower in my sons' middle or high schools.

5. DotyMath

DotyMath Rookie

Aug 24, 2004

I also have had trouble with this 'stinky' problem. I don't know how to address it with young boys (especially as a female). Last year I had a boy who stunk so badly that I had to physically move him away from people. I would hear every day "Cody you stink!" "Make Cody get away from me, he stinks!" and so on. I teach 7th graders. Is there a way to approach the personal hygiene issue? The counselor has talked to 'Cody'. The nurse has talked to 'Cody'. The principal has talked to 'Cody'. If all these people have tried talking with "Cody' what can I do now if he continues to stink?

6. Jeff Saari

Jeff Saari Guest

Aug 30, 2004

Arise Health Series

There is a Health series published by ARISE called Basic Health 101 that adresses hygiene issues in fun interactive lessons. Check it out www.ariselife-skills.org.

7. mrs.wilson

mrs.wilson New Member

Aug 30, 2004

In my student teaching placement we had this problem, instead of embarrassing the class or individual students. We had the health teacher to do a lesson on personal hygiene and she brought samples of toothpaste and soap..etc. This seemed to remedy our problem. I noticed a difference the following day. Although during the lesson there were giggles and snickers, I noticed they WERE listening. I suspect there is a youth service center or a health teacher in your school, if not conduct the lesson yourself. The local health department will be willing to donate samples of hygiene items to you if you explain the purpose. These kids may not hear this information anywhere else going above and beyond is what we do! GOOD LUCK!

8. ljensen

ljensen Guest

Aug 30, 2004

I smell a little smell speech

We also have this problem towards the end of fourth grade...and in the warm weather!!! I know it may sound silly, but I always give my "I smell a little smell speech." I give it to the entire class and I keep it light. I begin by literally saying to the students, "Boys and girls, every year at about this time, I give my - I smell a little smell speech." I give them enough information - not too much - about the fact that their bodies are changing, the weather is warm, etc. I also speak to them at this time about using deodorant every day, taking a bath or shower and making certain that their clothes are clean. Believe it or not, it really makes a difference! Simple, I know...but it actually works!

9. JMc

JMc Guest

Sep 5, 2004

Ask the school counselor for assitance

When I had a similar problem with the boys in my classroom, I asked our counselor for assistance. Since I'm female, I thought the boys might be more comfortable talking with a male adult. Our counselor took the boys aside from their recess time and had an informal chat with them about how to keep from being "stinky". Problem solved!