Additional Special Education Certifications In Texas?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Tombubb77, May 28, 2019.

  1. Tombubb77

    Tombubb77 Rookie

    May 7, 2016
    Likes Received:

    May 28, 2019

    I am a certified teacher in Texas and I would like to become a special education teacher working with students who are in self-contained classrooms. I have an EC-12 SPED certification. Are there other special education certifications I can get or other steps I can take to make myself more marketable as a self-contained special education teacher? Thank you!

    Thomas Bubb
  3. vickilyn

    vickilyn Multitudinous

    Jul 19, 2014
    Likes Received:

    May 29, 2019

    I am going to make the one obvious suggestion - contact the wonderful people at TEA. They are, after all, the Department of Education for Texas. Instead of wondering, these are the people who approve credentials, explain the process, and have probably heard it all, and can get you the answers you desire. Just a suggestion, however . . .
  4. Ted James

    Ted James New Member

    Jun 8, 2019
    Likes Received:

    Jun 8, 2019

    Hi Tom,

    The big question is what you would like to teach? Are you looking to teach elementary or secondary school? AFAIK, you would also need an EC-6 certification to teach, in addition to the SpEd certification. I'm not sure if you would need a generalist 4-8 certificate to teach in a self-contained classroom. In a nutshell, you would also need to be content certified in whatever you'd be teaching the students in the self-contained classroom. I think if you had a SpEd S.C.C. that was solely based on SpEd-related content, you could teach there; But, you'd probably need an additional certification. :)

Share This Page

Members Online Now

  1. futuremathsprof,
  2. agdamity,
  3. waterfall,
  4. ally06,
  5. Debgifts
Total: 432 (members: 8, guests: 407, robots: 17)