Addition/Subtraction Fluency Activities

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Steelers86, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Steelers86

Steelers86 Rookie

Apr 4, 2011

Hi,

I am looking for easy but fun games/activities for students to practice their add/subtraction fact fluency rather than just answering flash cards. Something little to make it more fun interesting. For example... time yourself answering flash cards and then try to beat your time kind of things. I am looking for ideas to practice in my classroom and also ideas for them to practice at home. Any suggestions are appreciated! :)

3. repete8

repete8 Companion

Apr 5, 2011

4. sanjacteacher

sanjacteacher Rookie

Apr 7, 2011

Math and Field would be perfect for what you're talking about. It's a series of games set up like track and field events and the kids compete against themselves in a timed fashion. You can get all of the instructions and gameboards from the positive engagement project in the free downloads section. I've used it this entire year and the kids love playing.

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 7, 2011

I know the students like the solve & color pix that I was able to find... They are a little hard to find sometimes.

6. tnv

tnv Rookie

Apr 29, 2011

events

I've used the math and field stuff with my little ones at home and my classroom kiddos and they love it. We play for personal records, so there is some motivation for them. I'd definately check it out.

tnv:)

7. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Apr 29, 2011

I have my daughter using that site as well. I would have my own students using it if we had computers in the classroom.

8. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Apr 30, 2011

We play "Math Corners" which is 4 Corners but with math facts. The corners are numbered with 4 different numbers and the person calling has to count to 10. Everyone chooses a corner-the caller says an adding or subtraction problem for which the answer is one of those numbers. So if the number was 30 - they could say 10+20 or 40-10. Whoever is in the 30 corner would be out-you go until one student is left-then they are the caller. What I like is the student who makes up the problem has to think about the answer and then all the students have to calculate to see if it's their corner.