Addition for elementary

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Smalls, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Smalls

Smalls Rookie

Jul 21, 2009

Hi,
    I am trying to get my head around beginning addition with my gr.1 and gr.2 students. I would like to hear some of your lesson ideas for beginning addition and follow up lessons. How do you assess their knowledge of addition? What types of questions might you ask your students? If you teach a higher grade level I still welcome your suggestions because I am sure it could be adapted for primary elementary.
    Thanks.

3. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 21, 2009

To begin (with 1st gr) use manipulatives so they get teh concept of adding.
    I use mad minutes with my 2nd graders. 3 min. for 30 probs. It helps them memorize their facts, cuz, I'm sorry, but some things need to be memorized, and facts do! IMHO. I grade how far they get and how accurate they are-I am just basically looking for individual growth. STrugglers take home sheets to practice (honor code, I don't ask for them back).
    I do lots of story/word problems so I know they get that they need to add, and what numbers to add together, use labels, etc.
    For trading... well, that's a whole other ball game. :) But have stuff for that too.

4. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Jul 21, 2009

Start with as much hands on as possible. Give them 2 counters and 'add' two more. Then count how many they have now. Try to use 'plus' and 'add' and 'equals' as much as you can. Once they can show an addition problem, move on to having them represent it with numbers. Do you have a curriculum to go by on this? Usually that will provide you with a whole lot of guidance and ideas.

5. kacieann

kacieann Companion

Jul 21, 2009

I would start with lots hands on, but by second grade addition and subtraction have to be memorized. I have also use the base ten blocks to add. The base ten blocks help students to have a standard picture in the mind. Students need this base knowledge for math success in third grade.