Adding Single Subject English

Discussion in 'General Education' started by mrsroos, Oct 26, 2014.

1. mrsroos

mrsroos Rookie

Oct 26, 2014

Hi All!!
    I currently having a preliminary multiple subject credential in CA. I want to be able to teach high school English. What do I need to do to get my single subject for English and do any of you know any schools that over the courses online?

any help would be fantastic!

Thanks!!

3. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 26, 2014

You would need to pass all 4 subtests of the English CSET, and take one methodology course. I'm not sure which one, but there is one specific one for teaching secondary grades.

If you are teaching right now you could ask someone at your district office (credential analyst, etc.)
    If you're not teaching,contact your county's County Office of Education, and ask someone there.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 26, 2014

Linguist, California changed things recently: I believe the required methodology course is now specific to the subject matter - so, for instance, if you decided you wanted to teach business education, you'd need to pick up a business-education teaching methodology course in addition to passing CSET Business Education.

But, mrsroos, the rest of Linguist's answer is spot on.

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 26, 2014

Oh, I did not know that. :(
    I thought there was one course to switch from mult. subject cred. to single subject, and vice versa.

I passed the RICA and the Mult. subject CSET and thought about taking that one course, just so I have an another credential. I don't see myself teaching elementary ever, but in alt. ed, or ind. study mult. subject credentials can be needed. So what course would I take?

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 26, 2014

I said "methodology", and I think I meant "pedagogy". There's just one for multiple subjects (well, times all the different multiple-subject credential programs, but you know what I mean). And I'd recommend your advice to mrsroos: ask your district which course and how you can get it.