Adding single subject cred. to special ed cred.

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by donblack32, Jun 7, 2008.

1. donblack32

donblack32 Rookie

Jun 7, 2008

I'm teaching in Ca. and have my special ed credential for secondary education. I want to get a single subject credential for secondary but I am told that I will have to either student teach or take an intern assignment. I already did all this when I secured my SPED credential. Are there any ways around such nonsense or do I have to interrupt my current teaching assignment and hire on as an intern and essentially start over?

3. myty1124

myty1124 Rookie

Jun 7, 2008

From what I understand, you will have to student teach or get an internship. Getting internships right now, with the budget cuts and NCLB, is REALLY tough. I do not think there is any way around it. I do wish you luck with this.

4. ddb23

ddb23 Companion

Jun 7, 2008

You should be able to add an authorization to your existing credential. To do this, you will need to pass the CSET in that subject area and take a methods class (usually online).

You can teach in that subject under what's called a limited assignment permit. This is good for up to three years while you add the authorization to your credential.

If your current credential is a clear credential, this is no problem and is actually approved by the principal at your school (and then backed up by your district). If your credential is not yet clear, your district may classify you as a non-credentialed teacher for salary purposes. However, the district might get confused and forget how to do this...

db

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  5. donblack32

donblack32 Rookie

Jun 8, 2008

Sorry, but what is a clear credential? I have been teaching three years to special ed students except one class I teach is to general ed because it is a business class and business is my subject matter competency.

6. myty1124

myty1124 Rookie

Jun 8, 2008

When I inquired about getting a special ed. credential when one already holds a clear single subject, I was told one would have to take 3 courses and then student teach. I assumed that it would be the same situation for the other way around, meaning that one who holds a clear Special ed. credential, who wishes to obtain a single subject, would have to pass the cset, and student teach or get an internship. I think I my assumption may be wrong??

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 8, 2008

This is a case in which I'd recommend getting a second opinion. If the first source was a district, for example, it would make sense to put the question to the credential honchos at the county office of education or to those at a school of education (perhaps the school of education from which one got one's original credential).

8. ddb23

ddb23 Companion

Jun 8, 2008

To add an authorization to a special ed credential, check out the following:

http://www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/CREDS/add-cred-auth.html

I would imagine that going from regular ed to special ed requires more steps.

A clear credential is what your credential becomes after teaching for a few years.

hope that helps,
    db

9. ICanDoThis

ICanDoThis Rookie

Jun 10, 2008

I believe that a clear credential is the same as a Level II, isn't it?