Adding Experience to Cover Letter

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by gutterballjen, May 19, 2012.

1. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

May 19, 2012

Hello all!

I have a cover letter that I wrote back in January when I just graduated. I really like the way it sounds, but since then I've taken a long-term sub job that I feel I need to include in my cover letter.

Here's my letter as of right now:
    Teaching is more than textbooks and worksheets. It is allowing students to grow in ways they never imagined possible. This is achieved when a teacher effectively implements the curriculum, and does so in a manner that it relates to the students. I can bring these qualities to your school, and would like to be considered for the POSITION at SCHOOL.

As a first grade student teacher, I implemented the writer’s workshop framework. During this time, the quality of my students’ writing improved greatly. Students were writing one-page stories with little or no detail. Within weeks, they were successfully planning and writing stories at least four pages long with details and emotions.

A great teacher relates the curriculum in a way that relates to the students. I coached my third grade students in tackling difficult math problems through a combination of problem solving strategies, math journaling, songs, chants and games. My students dubbed this method Math Magic, the purpose of which was to outsmart the Pesky Mathematicians; those who love to trick kids. Due to strategies such as these, two of my students increased their scores on the district curriculum assessment by thirty to forty points.

I believe that I am an excellent candidate for the POSITION at SCHOOL. With my student and substitute teaching experience, I possess the creativity and knowledge to help your students thrive. For more information, please visit my online portfolio at website. I look forward to meeting with you about the opportunities available at your school.
    Sincerely,

The LTS I have now came about suddenly when a 3rd grade teacher found out she had cancer. I took over the class with no transition time at all. Since the STAAR test was just weeks away, I had to establish relationships with my students and my classroom environment very quickly. There are several behavior issues in my class that I've learned to handle without calling in admin for assistance. Some of my students have seen improvement in their grades as well. It's been a huge challenge, but I have learned so much from it.

How can I add this new info without breaking the flow of my letter?This is by no means the paragraph I want to put in my cover letter, but the ideas I want are there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

May 19, 2012

Eliminate your 1st paragraph. You are not writing an essay. I read your cover letter and I don't even know what you are certified in. I imagine Principals rarely read the whole letter.

Just my opinion.

EDIT,

I read the opening again and I changed my mind. On a second read through I actually like it. It still seems more like the start of a Philosophy statement though.

4. teachart

teachart Comrade

May 20, 2012

I would open with the position you are applying for - people I have talked to say the initial reading is sometimes just for sorting the applications into stacks, and if they can't find the position right away it goes in the trash.

Otherwise, I am quite new to this as well so I can't critique. It sounds good though :)

5. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

May 20, 2012

I think the OP will put the position and school in when submitting the application, but didn't put the specific position in when posting here.

6. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

May 20, 2012

As long as they know to do it. In this space I think it's easier to assume nothing.

7. teachart

teachart Comrade

May 20, 2012

Ah, you might be right. I took the POSITION at the end of the paragraph as where she would include the position she was applying for.

8. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

May 20, 2012

I change the position and school name with every e-mail/application I send.

That's a good point, but my certification is on my resume. I don't want to rehash things that are already on it. Maybe I can find a way to work it in?

See above. I also make sure to make the position I'm interested in the subject of my e-mail. :)

Thanks for the help y'all! I should be getting that new paragraph in there soon.